Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Knott's Berry Farm, September 1970

Although I went to Disneyland many times when I was a kid, I don't have a single photo of myself in the park from those days. Seems hard to believe, my mom was a real shutterbug! But I recently found some snapshots from a few other Southern California amusement parks. Like this one from Knott's Berry Farm! It's taken at the load area for the classic Log Ride, with five kids on board. From left to right: my friend Ronnie Smith, yours truly (in my cool "Hang Ten" shirt!), my big brother Tom (waving happily), his best friend Curt Holmes, and my little sister Mary in the back. We look like we're having a pretty swell time! Know why? Because we WERE having a swell time.


I'm reasonably sure that this is our log plummeting down the final flume! You can sort of see my freakishly white/blond hair (and my sister in the back all by herself). I always knew when that last drop was coming, you would first pass through a dark cavern with only the faintest blue light visible at one end; but that just got my adrenaline going! What a great attraction.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool ride (and you were a cute, I mean cool kid hehe). The lumber mill you'd go through on the climb up at the start of the ride. Remember there was a pine tree smell? Later in the ride wasn't it? Thought the scenics were so cool and vivid. All that water... It had a great drop in the dark, which sure made it tough to top, but the final drop managed it!

Chris Merritt said...

Hang Ten shirts were the best! So were Yosemite "Go Climb A Rock" ones...

TokyoMagic! said...

Super cool pics, Major! Thanks for sharing these from your personal collection.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Boy did I love those shirts! 1970 Clothes for little kids were so cool! You guys sure do appear to be having a swell time, great smiles! Thanks for sharing Major!

PTA Transit Authority said...

Nothing like great family pics! Very cool Major.

Nancy said...

these are great...and you are STILL cool! thanks for sharing

Let's Talk Knott's said...

Fantastic!

outsidetheberm said...

What memories! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Hottie then, hottie now! :)