Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Space Station X-1 poster

Today I am showing off one of my favorite attraction posters of all time...Space Station X-1! Not only is it a fantastic 50's design, but the attraction itself is mostly forgotten. And, since I am very immature, it is not hard for me to imagine being that kid with the silly helmet; mom and dad have somehow managed to get tickets aboard the new space station, and this is our first view from orbit, looking down on the southwestern edge of the U.S. (with a bit of Mexico for good measure). I think I can see our house!

The poster has a bit of wear on the lower left edge, but it doesn't bother me. I've posted a large jpeg for you, so prepare yourself!


Back in June 2006, Matterhorn1959 (of the "Stuff From the Park" blog) posted a photo that amazed me, a picture showing a variation of the X-1 poster that I had never heard of before. He was generous enough to send me a nice jpeg of his photo and allowed me to show it again here (thank you, Matterhorn!).


In 1958, the attraction's name was changed to "Satellite View of America". Maybe "Space Station X-1" was too vague to entice guests to come inside? Seems hard to believe. Whatever the reasoning was, new posters were created. I grabbed the image of the poster and attempted to adjust it as much as possible, correcting the perspective. As you can see, the entire upper right is now a black semi-circle with the new name of the attraction in bright yellow letters (the purplish, wavy shape is a reflection off of the plexi that protected the poster while it was on display). It's super rare, and I have never seen one of these for sale. I would flip if I could find one, but am very happy to own the original "X-1" version!


Many thanks to Matterhorn1959 for sharing his great image!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoah!! OMG does this ever bring back memories of making a beeline for Tomorrowland every time we entered the Park -- for Space Station X-1, Rocket to the Moon and Autopia, in that order... while keeping an eye on the time for the next Flight Circle show. (My dad worked for Rocketdyne and I was a total science geek... that is, when I wasn't being a total Davy Crockett geek!) But I hadn't remembered the Station X-1 posters. Thanks for the post Major, this is great!

Matterhorn1959 said...

It looks like all Disneyland did was screen the black over the Space Station X-1 logo and then screen on the Satellite View of America. I am willing to bet they only did this for the posters on display and there were none left in storage. I know that at the Gallery when they sold the posters, there was a find of Space Station X-1 posters.

Unknown said...

I can't imagine going into space wearing a suit and tie!

Great scan. Thanks for sharing this with us. I love the attraction posters.

Jason Schultz said...

For those with the Nickel Tour, you can see the Satellite View of America poster on page 77, on one of the black and white postcards. Bruce and David identified these cards as 1956, but that doesn't make sense based on when the attraction's name changed! Thanks for the large image!

thepicklebarrel said...

hey major, dont forget the added benefit of X-1 being one of the few blacklight posters that glow with flourescent paint!

absolutely one of my most tresured items too!

Todd Franklin said...

That is one beautiful of a poster!

jedblau said...

Matterhorn is 100% correct...I'm sure that's what they did, too. It would explain why none have ever been seen on the open market. Love mine, too! I need to put together a black-light room with this poster, 20000 Leagues and Rainbow Caverns. Freaky, baby.

CoxPilot said...

"Ex minus one" (X - 1) was a 50s sci-fi radio program. I think I remember the grape vine saying that Disney had to change the name because it was to close, and they didn't want any copy right problems.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks for all of the interesting comments! I never thought about viewing any of the posters under blacklight. Rainbow Caverns too, huh?

Also, I used to listen to broadcasts of "EX minus one" on a local station, and wondered about the coincidence.

Anonymous said...

фото малолеток с самотыком http://free-3x.com/ извращения малолеток онлайн free-3x.com/ видео лишение девственности малолеток [url=http://free-3x.com/]free-3x.com[/url]