Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bre'r Bear & Bre'r Fox, September 1972

For some reason I remember seeing Bre'r Bear and Bre'r Fox at Disneyland often when I was a kid. They were everywhere! I guess folks were more familiar with those characters back then...it was pre-Splash Mountain, but "Song of the South" continued to be rereleased until 1986.

Anyway, as a very small child, Bre'r Bear scared me because he was so big. At least Pooh was short and plump, with a hunny pot on his head. In the first photo, the two Bre'rs are dancing up a storm in New Orleans Square. You can see evidence of Bre'r Bear's tracheotomy. To the extreme left you can just see one of the Main Street Bachelors.


In this second photo we see Bre'r Bear interacting with a woman who seems to be recoiling in fear. I know the feeling, lady! Meanwhile a little girl in a yellow top looks pretty excited to be so close to Bre'r Fox.

5 comments:

Daveland said...

Whenever I went to the park, I could always tell which films were being re-released by the characters walking around. Nice shots, Major!

Matterhorn1959 said...

These shots look like some of my family's shots from our many trips to the park. Very nice and I always liked seeing the Bre'r folks.

Anonymous said...

The second photo was taken near the old entrance to Bear Country. The Hungry Bear Restaurant is just ahead. And remember the snoring bear in the cave above the rockwork on the left?

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

There's the woman recoiling with fear, then to her right a child, then to the child's right there is a woman is wearing pants that are . . . . dare I say . . . "unique"?

Connie Moreno said...

And look at the sailors! You never see military people in Disneyland anymore - at least not in uniform.