Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pack Mules, December 1960


The sun is setting on the little mining town of Rainbow Ridge, and a passel of tenderfeet are heading out on their trusty pack mules. I never noticed the signpost that informs us that this part of R. Ridge is "Trail St.". Looks like one of the young 'uns is wavin' goodbye to someone in the saloon. Save some redeye for me, pappy!

The warm glow gives this photo a wonderfully nostalgic feeling. I seem to recall that the Pack Mules stopped operating at dusk....er, isn't this dusk? It would have been fun to ride through Nature's Wonderland as the night approched - just like the rest of the park, night time would have added an extra touch of magic. But the mules needed their beauty rest, so it was not to be!

5 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Wonderful image especially the lighting. I am trying to remember any trips I had on the Mules, but do not. I must have though because my Mom would go on every ride. I do have memories of riding the Natures Wonderland Railroad when I was young with my Grandparents.

Chris Merritt said...

Nice image - the sun setting makes it really nostalgic for me...

Amazon Belle said...

B-E-A-UTIFUL slide Major! I so enjoy the west side of the Park as the sun set. That warm “golden hour” made Frontierland amazing!

I do have a faint memory of riding the pack mules. I remember coming along side of the Rivers of America near the "Friendly Indian Village" after coming down the trail from Cascade Peak and the Bear Country area and seeing the moose with the lake weed in his mouth and water dripping off it. I also vaguely remember riding into or near the cave area at the back of the Painted Desert where the Disneyland RR traveled. Does anyone remember if you went into that cave? I thought the mules traveled into a cave too… or am I now starting to confuse Nature's Wonderland Rainbow Caverns here? Help! Someone... anyone!

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm afraid I never rode the mules through Nature's Wonderland...sure wish I had. I wonder if the Disney folks had any idea how missed N.W. would be when it was removed? I like the Big Thunder attraction a lot, but a roller coaster, no matter how nicely themed, is still basically a roller coaster.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites of all I've seen so far. "Save some redeye for me, pappy!" heha

Ironically with environmentalism and growing isolation of some many peeps from nature, I think the timing is better than ever for a New & Improved Nature's Wonderland idea.