Saturday, July 29, 2006

Tomorrowland, 1970


Wow, Tomorrowland was still a happenin' place in 1970. This is the version that I grew up with, and I remember it fondly. There was so much motion going on all around, with the Skyway, Peoplemover, Monorail, Autopia, Subs, Rocket Jets, and the spinning Carousel of Progress building...it really felt alive in a way that seems to be lacking these days.

Who knows, I could be one of those itty bitty people in this picture, looking forward to a journey through liquid space, or a trip into a snowflake, or maybe a drive through America the Beautiful.

I hope people don't mind the occasional detour from the 50's and 60's into the groovy 70's!

2 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Hey Major- thanks for the image. Somehow the 1970s was not as well photographed. The Disneyland of my youth is also the 1970s with the most fun Tomorrowland. One of my favorite rides is still America Sings which I greatly miss. I believe we rode that ride every time we took a trip to the park.

Major Pepperidge said...

I only got to see America Sings once, since my family moved to the east coast in the early 70's, and by the time we moved back I didn't want to see the show that had ousted the Carousel of Progress. Of course now I wish I had gone more often!