Two Beauties, October 19th, 1972
I recently scanned some batches of slides that had some real beauties in them, and I look forward to sharing them with you over the next few months! We'll begin with this pretty 1972 view taken from the Parking Lot, looking along the Monorail beam with the Disneyland Hotel in the distance. We are in lot J, that's J for... uh... "Jiminy Cricket"? "J. Worthington Foulfellow"? Sorry, there is no "Jafar" or "Jasmine" yet. I love those gorgeous October clouds.
Next, a very nice picture of the ticket booths - not the tiny original booths, but the later examples, some of which still survive here and there (note: NOPE! They were torn down). Since these slides were hand-dated "October 19th, 1972", I can refer to Jason's Disneyland Almanac for some data: it was a Thursday, the park was open from 10:00 AM until 6:00 PM (only eight hours??), and the high temperature was a mild 71ยบ.
FYI, I will be heading out of town tomorrow morning, and will be gone for five days. That's longer than my usual trips abroad! I won't have much time to futz around on my iPad (or I might leave it at home), so just assume that you won't hear from me until I return. As usual there will be new posts for you every day. I look forward to talking to you all soon!



3 comments:
Major-
The Parking Lot THE first attraction-!
A nice display of attraction posters: Haunted Mansion; America the Beautiful; Autopia; Columbia; Carousel of Progress; Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse; and Tom Sawyer Island.
Yes sir... with your Vintage Fashion Award-Winning plaid flare pants-! (Even I wouldn't have been caught wearing those-!)
Thanks, Major.
It IS a nice photo! As you noted, I think the beautiful sky may have been the reason our photographer took this picture. Other than the sky, there's not a lot going on here. No Monorail gliding by on the beamway. We can't see any of the Park itself. No family members posing for us... Yes, it must have been the sky.
Lots of seventies fashions here. The slurry looks awfully dark and shiny. I wonder if it rained earlier? We can see Tootsie, dressed in magenta with red shoes, adjusting her hair. The Station clock says it's almost noon. If Jason's Almanac is correct, these people only have about six hours in the Park!
Pleasant looking photos, Major. Thanks. Don't stay away too long, we might get rowdy and tear the place up! :-p
I do love the clouds in these two photos. It feels weird not to see the Bonita Tower in that first pic, but it was still 6 years away from being built.
And I looked really hard, but I guess we are too far away from the Hotel grounds to see the hot dog Ferris wheel, gosh darn it! ;-)
Thanks, Major! I hope you have a safe trip!
Post a Comment