Friday, September 27, 2024

Parking Lot, June 1962

Views of the old parking lot are always popular. There's just something about vast stretches of asphalt painted with parking stripes and "populated" with cars that evokes smiles and happiness among all peoples of the World. If only every place could be a parking lot!

The June Gloom has hit hard, but it still hasn't dampened my spirits (though my hair has lost its curl). We're out in Lot C, that's "C" for Clarabelle Cow. Or Cruella de Ville. Or Cinderella. You get the idea! Look at that Monorail, it's like a straightened banana on one rail (I know, my metaphor needs work).  


I'll zoom in a little for you fans of classic cars. The Corvette to the left is nice, but not practical for my purposes. I'll take a station wagon, and have my eye on that two-tone cream and coral baby. 


Next we'll head over to Fantasyland, just outside of the "Alice in Wonderland" attraction. Alice herself is peering at us from her attraction poster. A flock of sailors is to the left, they are about to break into song, as sailors do. I hope it is not too naughty (but it can be nautical).  The man with the bowtie to the right seems to be introducing his toddler to three people. "This is Lurleen, she can lift a calf over her head!". Impressive, you must admit.


3 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Funny, but the man with the bow tie looks more like a ventriloquist, holding his dummy!

I bet the sailors were about to start singing, "There's Nothing Like A Dame."

Thanks for the sixties pics, Major!

JB said...

Somehow, the June Gloom really makes the Monorail and the cars stand out. Yay June Gloom!
An especially nice assortment of vehicles on display here; different shapes and colors. And there's a family of electrical towers admiring the variety of cars, just like us! Question: How does one straighten out a banana without smushing it up? I don't have the answer, I just wanna know.

"A flock of sailors". Since sailors are 'of-the-sea' perhaps they should be referred to as a pod of sailors. The sailor in the back is eating an ice cream bar (I think). Those "how do you do" people that you mentioned make me feel good.

Thanks, Major.

Nanook said...

Major-
You and your cars... That [impractical] Corvette appears to be a 1958 model, (probably) in Snowcrest [or] Arctic White. The (probably) Caribbean Blue Green 1955 Rambler station wagon, is sitting just behind it. The object of your desire really threw me for a loop. I first thought it was a Packard station wagon - but that was a bust. Luckily, it's a 2-door station wagon - but even that didn't help. I just lucked on a beautiful image on-line to provide the ID. It's a 1959 German Ford Taunus P2-! (You're really making me work for my Zinger-!) See another image of it HERE.

In front of it is a 1959 Chevrolet station wagon (perhaps) in Highland Green and Snowcrest White. To its right is a pair of Fords: 1st, a 1956; then a 1955. Sandwiched between them is a 1955 Chevrolet (probably) in [believe-it-or-not] just plain Coral and India White-!

I think those sailors need a couple of nuns to keep them company.

Thanks, Major.