Saturday, March 23, 2019

Liberatchy Home

Here's a weird one for you! Going through a pile of old slides, I found one hand-labeled "Liberatchy house, Sherman Oaks". First of all, I love that Liberace was spelled "Liberatchy". Second of all, I used to live near Sherman Oaks, and wondered if Liberace really had a house there once. So down the internet vortex I went. As it turns out, he did own a home, at 15405 Valley Vista Boulevard - I've driven right past it on my way to merge on to the 405 freeway.

Here's the 1958 photo - it's surprising how modest it looks compared to the the mega-mansions that we expect celebrities to own these days.



Here's a vintage postcard with a better view of the home, which was built just for Liberace (he moved in in 1953). At the time it was supposed to be very modern, with push-button conveniences. It was a house of the future, only not made of plastic.


One of the most famous features was the swimming pool, shaped like a piano!


Looking at a Google satellite view, the pool is still there.


Apparently Liberace's mother, who lived in the home, was attacked by two masked men in 1957. Realizing that the house was just a little too accessible to fans (and non-fans), Liberace sold the house in 1958. Fans still flocked to the Sherman Oaks house, and the subsequent owner had to resort to placing a sign in his front yard.


Liberace was one of those people I would see on TV when I was growing up... I always thought his schtick was odd, and yet the audiences loved his gaudy costumes and corny jokes. The guy could play the piano though. I'm reminded of a joke from "The Benny Hill Show". "I called one of my dogs Skinny, on account of he's the leanest; I called another dog Killer, on account of he's the meanest; and I called the third dog Liberace, on account of he's the pianist". It's one of those jokes that works better when heard, rather than read!

15 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I wish his brother George....was in one of the photos.

I've heard that the Carpenter's house in Downey had/has the same problem with fans driving by, so the current owners just let the trees in front of the house grow to the point where you can't see the house anymore.

Nanook said...

Major-

That's a fairly modern-looking house for 1953. Love those old street signs and the electrolier (street light), which I believe dates from around 1931.

And, oh yes, that's a convertible, 1955 Mercury Montclair if that helps to date the image.

Thanks, Major.

Anonymous said...

At Christmas time, there would be a rooftop display of Santa playing a Christmas-lighted piano.

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, it must be a weird thing to live inside a famous house! I would just do what Disney does, and have a giant scrim with a *picture* of the house, blocking the real house. So easy.

Nanook, “electrolier” is a new one for me. I was recently near Warner Studios in Burbank, and peeking up over one wall was about a dozen traffic lights, and another dozen street lights of this same kind.

Anon, that sounds about right!

Nanook said...

Major-

To quote from the Water and Power Associates web site...

Streetlight "Electroliers" are defined as free-standing streetlights generally on their own posts. The next time you appear on "Jeopardy", perhaps this bit of info will propel you into the winning spot.

K. Martinez said...

I first remember Liberace as Chandell on the 60's Batman TV show. My parents went to see him perform live in person and thought his show was quite good. He was definitely one of the great showmen and entertainers of his time.

Love the piano shaped swimming pool. It's that "larger than life" of type of thing. Thanks, Major.

JC Shannon said...

What a great house, modern meets early american, with a really stellar ride parked out front. LA personified. When I was young, it always appeared as though Liberace was on every variety show every time. He was a piano virtuoso, and a master showman. It seems like if you wanted to get noticed as a pianist, you had to have a gimmick. Elton John and Victor Borge are two more examples. I had a girlfriend in Sherman Oaks, I wish could remember this house. Thanks for today's nostalgic pics. Now where did I put my sequined sport coat?

Anonymous said...

Looks to continue to be a nice location. He moved before the freeway was put in, so it was a direct street to Sepulveda Blvd. KS

Melissa said...

If you ever get a chance to see the movie "The Loved One," it's definitely worth a watch. Brilliant, creepy performance by Liberace as a funeral director, and several things that were clearly used as inspiration for elements in the Haunted Mansion.

(I'll probably continue to be mostly AFK for the rest of March, but glad I got to drop in for this little rarity today!)

Dean Finder said...

My knowledge of Liberace comes entirely form Bugs Bunny references to him. I'm gload someone explained them to me as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7NZza-C-AY

K. Martinez said...

Melissa, "The Loved One" is a masterpiece. One of the most biting satires I've ever seen. And let's not forget Rod Steiger as Mr. Joyboy and Ayllene Gibbons as Joyboy's mother. I think it's time for another visit to Whispering Glades. Thanks for reminding me of that film.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Wow and still there. The aerial still shows the piano pool too.

Zillow lists the value at a cool $2.25 million

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15405-Valley-Vista-Blvd-Sherman-Oaks-CA-91403/19991450_zpid/

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, I know that Liberace was on the old “Batman” series, but jeez, it’s been so long since I’ve seen it. I gave the whole series to my brother on Blu-Ray and thought we’d watch some, but as far as I know it is still in the shrink wrap.

Jonathan, you wouldn’t remember the house because it isn’t that remarkable! It’s a nice house for sure, but seems so modest compared to what celebrities seem to require today. And right there on a corner in Sherman Oaks, not behind a 12 foot wall. Elton John had a gimmick? I can’t think of one. ;-)

KS, yeah, it’s strange to see a “celebrity house” right near a freeway onramp like that.

Melissa, wow, that sounds like a weird one. I wasn’t really aware of Liberace doing any acting, other than spoofs like the Batman show. I’m trying to figure out what “AFK” stands for!

Dean Finder, yes, that is probably what I knew him from too!

K. Martinez, sounds like everyone knows that movie but me. Mr. Joyboy? Ooohhh-kay! Whispering Glades is where I go after I’ve had a nervous breakdown.

Alonzo, I’ll take it! Will they accept cash?

Dean Finder said...

AFK = Away from keyboard

Anonymous said...

Liberace was in the "Loved One"?

Going off to watch that now.

According to "Long Forgotten" blog, this film was an influence on the Haunted Mansion.

The house is a period piece, and it's no surprise that he moved. People are just getting crazier all the time, I don't blame celebrities for living behind tall fences.

Thanks Major.

JG