Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Santa Fe & Disneyland RR Flyers

Can you imagine a Disneyland without the wonderful Santa Fe and Disneyland Railroad? I can't (or won't); to this day the DLRR is one of my favorite, "must do" attractions. I'm not aware of too many train-related Disneyland souvenirs, other than the vintage tickets, and the very expensive hat badges (and other cast member ephemera), and maybe a few off-model toys. But in the early days, guests received some very nice little flyers that are still very popular among collectors.

Here's a scan of the first version, all in black and white. It looks suitably antique! Presumably this kind would have been handed out back in 1955. I can't help wondering is this is based on some actual vintage train schedule; maybe Ward Kimball had something like this in his vast collection of memorabilia.


If you unfold the thing, here's what you'll see; the front and back cover are identical. On the other two panels, there is a very simple map of the park, probably created before the place opened. Note the mention of boarding the passenger train at the entrance, and the freight train in Frontierland.


And now for a special message from our sponsor! You can travel the country in style and comfort, while actually enjoying the scenery (notice that the left two panels are beneath the C.K. Holliday passenger train). Eat that, airplanes! Also, trains are pretty useful in hauling freight of all kinds (those two panels are beneath the E.P. Ripley freight train).


This map doesn't look too different than one that is in a school geography book that I own, circa the 1870's. The only difference is that the Pacific Ocean is there - we all know that it was actually built in the 1930's as part of Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration program. 


Next I have the second version of the Santa Fe flyer, with a more fanciful colorful look (there's no tiny castle on the first version). 


This one was designed to be mailable. Your pal Georgie from little league would love to get one of these! And won't he be jealous, which makes it all that much sweeter.

While this version is undated, the new improved map shows the Skyway, which means it is from at least 1956. 


Say, this advertisement goes down real easy, since it is presented in association with Disneyland. 


Boy, do I love this fun map of the the western half of the U.S.A! Say, why don't we all meet up in La Junta? Or better yet, Belen?? The bright lights! The tall buildings! 

Not only do we get the pleasing blue and orange color scheme, and the appealing little cartoons (the fellow in the boat must have hooked a 50-inch muskie!), but the border has an assortment of wonderful Native American symbols - beautiful graphics. Even the compass rose has a tiny representation of a Disneyland train chugging around it.


I hope you have enjoyed these Disneyland and Santa Fe flyers!

13 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

What wonderful brochures these are. I can imagine kids sitting for hours pouring-over all the little details, and imagining taking a cross-country train trip - complete with "Big Dome" lounges. Wouldn't it be great if that feature was offered for today's traveling public-? Sadly, even if folks could somehow be corralled into taking a train trip, it would do little good, as everyone's eyes would be diverted downward intently staring at some 'electronic screen', while the wonders of these United States go sailing-by.

Thanks, Major.

Steve DeGaetano said...

I have both of these, but admit I've never studied them in the detail you have, Major!

I find it interesting that both brochures depict drawings of the passenger train being pulled by the C.K. Holliday, and the freight train being pulled by the E.P. Ripley. In practice, usually the opposite was true--the Ripley pulled the passenger train, and the Holliday pulled the freight train.

I've often suspected the iterations shown in the brochures was the way Disney originally intended the trains' composition; lending credence to this theory are the engine and train numbers--The passenger train - Retlaw 1 - was numbered in the "100" series, seemingly intended to be mated with engine 1, the C.K. Holliday, while the freight train - Retlaw 2, numbered in the "200" series, seemed destined to be hooked to Engine No. 2, the Ripley.

Anonymous said...

That last map feels very familiar to me, especially the little symbols around the edge. The ATSF Superchief used to stop in the little town near where I grew up. I remember that we took the train to Bakersfield, (end of the line) and back, just for fun. We ate lunch in the Dining Car. Pretty big stuff for a little kid. I was familiar with the route since it was mostly along highways that we drove, but so different to see the sights from the train instead of the car.

Also, interesting to see Barstow featured on the map. A huge rail center, but otherwise, not high on anyone's sightseeing list. But the scenery out that way is pretty spectacular.

Thanks so much, Major. This is really fun.

JG

K. Martinez said...

Really nice stuff, Major. Thank you.

Matthew said...

Hey Major, why don't we meet up at the Grand Canyon at the El Tovar (Fred Harvey management). Fred Harvey runs a fine place you know and we could all get a drink. His hotel prices are way to high.

Great post today. Love the little Native American drawings around the boarder of the map and their meanings. May go get myself a tattoo one day and will use this map as a reference for the artist.

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

Anonymous said...

While the Magic Kingdom railroad is great, I always felt that it was lacking due to it not having the Grand Canyon or Lost World dioramas. Of course, now that Epcot has closed the Universe of Energy, perhaps they can use the old dino animatronics to create a Lost World diorama over at the Magic Kingdom.

One thing that does make the WDW railroad better is the seating. The seating arrangement is that of an actual train ride, whereas Disneyland has that awkward seating arrangement that faces one side of the train only. Yeah, that's pretty awkward.

zach said...

Great post today. I love this stuff. I need to dig into my box and see what Disney RR things I have since I can't remember.

Good crops to you all,

dz

Steve DeGaetano said...

JG, in concept art, the E.P. Ripley was originally named the W.B. Strong. What did the "B" stand for? Barstow, of course!

Major, interesting fun fact: The photo of the Holliday (and possibly the Ripley--I'd have to check) inside the second brochure was actually taken by the official Santa Fe company photographer!

Anonymous said...

@Steve DeGaetano. That's interesting.

Was the city named for Mr. Strong? I've been through Barstow many times on my visits to the desert, but never thought much about the history of the place. It seems to be newer than many of the desert towns, I assumed it grew up around the railroads, much like Roseville further north.

JG

Steve DeGaetano said...

Yep, JG, Barstow was named for Strong. The Santa Fe would often name towns along its route after some of its executives, in their honor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Barstow_Strong

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I kind of wish I had experienced the golden age of rail travel, even though it could take days to get to a destination that now might take a few hours. As for looking at little screens, I still feel like I’m some weirdo when I’m on an airplane… I still love to look out the window, particularly at takeoff and landing, while everyone else seems way too cool to even bother. The sight of a complicated city spread out below like the most amazing miniature, is still enchanting to me.

Steve DeGaetano, ha, even after I pointed out the say they used the C.K. Holliday for the passenger train service and the E.P. Ripley for the freight train, I didn’t notice that they had switched them, usage-wise. It reminds me of that pink broadside in which the illustrations don’t match the names of the trains. Your theory about the originally-intended use for the locomotives makes perfect sense.

JG, I think the only train ride I ever took was from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin, and I barely remember it, except that we had to sleep in our seats, and a little kid nearby wanted to play “peek-a-boo” the whole time! I don’t think there was a dining car, or if there was, I don’t remember it. As for Barstow, at least I’ve heard of it! “Belen”?? That is a new one for me. Gotta look it up on Wikipedia.

K. Martinez, no problem!

Matthew, I have loads of old Fred Harvey postcards. It sounds like you could be sure of a nice place to stay if you went to one of his places. When you get that tattoo, send pictures!

The Disney Dudebro, I know that the trains at the Magic Kingdom are huge compared to the 5/8 scale versions at Disneyland, which I would imagine would make them pretty darn impressive. My friend Mr. X raves about the beautiful trains! Disneyland’s original passenger cars faced forward, but when the Grand Canyon Diorama was added, it was hard for people who were not next to the right window to see anything, so the sideways-facing seats just made sense. Plus there isn’t much to see on the other side, except for berm, or parking lot!

David Zacher, if you have anything good, feel free to share it here!!

Steve DeGaetano, that IS a fun fact. I’ve kind of wondered if these flyers were more of a Santa Fe giveaway than a Disneyland giveaway. Perhaps a passenger could even get one outside of Disneyland?

JG, ha ha, I assumed that the “W.B. Strong” name was made up, but Steve’s comment (coming up) shows me what I know.

Steve, I had NO idea!

Steve DeGaetano said...

More useless information:

The reason I know that photo was taken by the Santa Fe, is because I have an original print of it, with information typed up (yes, by a typewriter!)and taped on the back. There's also an official stamp: "PLEASE CREDIT SANTA FE RAILWAY."

The photo file number is 179-10, and the photographer was R. Collins Bradley. Bradley apparently shot a lot of post cards for the AT&SF. The caption states, "Heading out of the square roundhouse past the coaches of the passenger train is the C.K. Holliday, powering the freight train which circles Disneyland carrying visitors on its scenic route around the new playground."

And yes, the Ripley shot is official Santa Fe as well. File No. 179-4, Don Erb photographer. The caption on mine is missing.

Nanook said...

@ Steve DeGaetano-

I LOVE "useless" information, such as this-! The devil is always in the details-!!

Thanks for this; and keep it coming.