Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Disneyland in Black and White

Do not adjust your eyebones. Today's photos are in shades of gray! They are scanned from two strips of undated negatives - there's not much to go on as far as determining the date, so I am going to generalize and guess "mid-1960's". 

I have often wanted to sit in giant crockery, so the "Mad Tea Party" attraction was kind of a dream come true. And you know what? It was everything I thought it would be. 

This first picture shows a CM striding among the teacups, making sure that all is well. He looks confident, as if he's done this a thousand times (and he probably has). He also looks like he is barely out of high school.


 Notice the patch on his shirt, along with what appears to be one of the brass employee ID badges that were only given out in the early years - which makes me wonder if these photos aren't actually from the 1950's.


I can almost feel the centrifugal forces pulling on me! Two girls are enjoying their ride, with one of them doing all the work. I sympathize, since that's usually my job. Hopefully her friend won't reward her by barfing.


8 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

I think we can be fairly confident those Teacup images are from the 1950's - or at least prior to December of 1960 - when Skull Rock and Pirate's Cove opened. The skull head would be clearly visible from this angle.


And please... let's not talk about 'barfing'. My head's hurting already-!

Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

I wonder if any C.M. has ever tried to stand on the Mad Tea Party turntable while it was in operation? I mean in the dead center, of course!

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, well, I couldn’t “see the forest for the trees”! I was so interested in the brass ID badge that it never occurred to me to even look for Skull Rock. D’oh!

TokyoMagic! I’m sure it has to have happened over the past 60+ years, though I don’t think management would be too happy about it. Maybe some person who was about to quit anyway tried it?

Alonzo P Hawk said...

This is back in the day when Dapper Day was every day and included the cast members.

Anonymous said...

You know, it really amazes me how Disneyland's tea cup ride remains out in the open while Disney World is covered by a canopy. My guess is because of Florida's increment weather. Though you have to wonder how guests can manage the ride within California's overbearing heat.

Nanook said...

Major-

I was thinking, with no discernible blur on any of the objects in the last image, chances are good those Teacups have yet to start their circular round-about journey. Then on the other hand, that girl may merely be deep in the throws of contacting ‘the spirits’ thru the use of an Ouija board, which just happens to be appended to the center wheel. I swear I can just see one edge of the planchette-! (I wonder what great message was received from the vast beyond-??)

Major Pepperidge said...

Alonzo P Hawk, I’ll have to see what CM who work the Teacups wear these days - I honestly have no idea. It's safe to say that it isn't a white shirt and tie anymore...

The Disney Dudebro, according to the “U.S. Climate Data” website, July, August and September tend to be in the high 80’s (which is certainly very warm) in Anaheim, while the rest of the year averages the low to mid-70’s, so it’s pretty moderate as a rule. And we sure don’t get as much rain as we need!

Nanook, if you look at the boys in the more-distant teacup, they also seem to be leaning into the spins, so I’m pretty sure this was taken as the ride was in motion. Perhaps it had only just started to ramp up?

DrGoat said...

A lot of my childhood was in black and white. Love these. Thanks Major.