Friday, December 09, 2016

Some Castle Views

In spite of the fact that I have seen approximately 13 gazillion photos of Sleeping Beauty Castle, I still love this first photo (from March, 1960) more than I love my three kids (apologies to Sandy, Becky, and Mongo). Just look at it? What's not to love? The color leans toward cyan rather heavily, but the yellows and reds still *pop*. Look at the way the castle's pennants wave perfectly in the breeze. And we can't ignore those awesome 1960 people.


The gentleman with the hat is my hero! He's got swagger. The lady to the right is carrying her souvenir guidebook in a most undignified manner. Two devil children are crossing the castle bridge. And while there are a few other kids in the distance, the crowd is largely adults. 


I almost didn't post this one because it looks so odd. It's a vintage slide, but it is a duplicate, and like most image dupes, it has started to lose some subtlety. On the other hand, it's got that holiday spirit, and I like the tableau of the two ladies having their picture taken; it looks like it's right out of an old Kodak ad.


10 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Oh yeah! That first pic is something special. It's Walt Disney's Disneyland. And I don't care if you have a gazillion photos of Sleeping Beauty Castle. I love 'em all. It's still the best Disney castle I've ever seen. And you are right. Those 1960 people are awesome.

And that second pic...

Christmas time is here
Happiness and cheer
Fun for all that children call
Their favorite time of the year

TokyoMagic! said...

One of the devil children's tails is showing (the one on the left).

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Oh, I'm sure you still love Mongo even though he's only a pawn in the game of life and has a fondness for candygrams.

Pic one is rife with unique people. Thing 1 and Thing 2 crossing the bridge are a head scratcher. Did their parents really dress them that way or is juvie having a field trip and they wore their prison jumpsuits to Disneyland?

All in all the lady to the far right kicks of Babushka Friday with a bang!
Thanks for posting. TGIF and have a great weekend to all GDBr's everywhar.

DrGoat said...

Yep, that is truly one in 13 gazzilion. The old guy most certainly is a School of Ed Begley graduate.

Anonymous said...

With the proliferation of camera-phones (or is it phone-cameras), the man under the yellow umbrella is carrying something you don't see much anymore - a camera bag.

Unknown said...

Love these shots! And look! The castle is painted to look like it's made of stone! What a concept.

Nanook said...

Major-

And isn't that a ticket booth we see front and center, blocking the King Arthur Carousel-?

Mongo-?? What happened to Geraldine-?

Thanks, Major.

Pegleg Pete said...

How can that careless woman not realise that her cavalier treatment of her souvenir guide is going to seriously affect its resale value on eBay in fifty-six years' time?

Pegleg Pete said...

Oh, and despite its flaws that shot of the castle with the Christmas tree is gorgeous! Thanks.

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, sometimes I wonder why a particular photo resonates with me more than similar photos - in the case of the first pic, I think the people make a big difference, and add a lot of that vintage quality that appeals to me. As for the castle, I occasionally read or hear opinions that it should be redone, much larger. No way! It’s perfect for Disneyland. (I don’t know that Christmas song…!).

TokyoMagic!, there is nothing more embarrassing than accidentally letting your tail show.

Alonzo, Mongo won’t stop punching horses. I’ll bet those kids were wearing red so that they’d be easy to spot in a crowd, don’t you think? “Babushka Friday”, ha ha!

DrGoat, I would go to the School of Ed Begley any day! The homework: shop for a fedora, and intimidate random strangers.

Anonymous, I see lots of camera cases in old photos, but not many camera bags.

Patrick Devlin, who ever heard of a castle made of stone? The one at Disneyland is made of candy, or so I’m told.

Nanook, yes, that is the little ticket booth we’ve seen in other shots. Geraldine? Oh my gosh, I left her at the grocery store and totally forgot about her!

Pegleg Pete, I don’t think it’s hyperbole when I state that that woman is one of the most despicable monsters in history. Name three worse people! Can’t do it.

Pegleg Pete II, I wish I had the non-duplicate version of that slide…