Saturday, December 03, 2016

Expo 1970, Osaka

In 1970, a World's Fair was held in Osaka, Japan, between March 13th and September 15th. It was called "Expo '70", and its theme was "Progress and Harmony for Mankind". 13 Japanese architects developed a plan that included some stunningly futuristic buildings. While this is a World's Fair that is not well-known to most Westerners, it appears to have been an amazing event.

And while the scans that I am sharing today are very nice, I'm afraid I know basically nothing about what is pictured. Unlike other Fairs, there does not appear to be a ton of info out there. So... just enjoy the photos!

This reminds me of "Logan's Run" for some reason. Only better. Except that it doesn't have Jenny Agutter. If anybody has any info to add regarding these photos, I would appreciate it!


There's something comforting about a Habitrail for humans. All I need now is a handful of food pellets and a bottle that dispenses water. And maybe a few wood shavings. 


The future is here! As designed by Willy Wonka. I have more slides of Expo 1970... I think it's time to find a book or good website so that I can provide some information!


11 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

"Futuristic" barely does it justice. It looks quite futuristic. I love the third image, if for no other reason than that 'giant arm-looking thing', supporting some sort of mesh - which could merely be a stylized Xmas tree. But whatever it is, it's nice to see it.

Thanks, Major.

Gnometrek said...

http://www.expo70-park.jp/languages/english/expo70/

This site tells us that Nanook's 'giant-arm looking thing' is actually the Australian Pavilion. I thought it was supposed to be a dinosaur carrying his shopping home. Sometimes our imagination is more fun than the truth. Informative class today Major. Thank you!

Scott Lane said...

No Jenny Agutter....and no blondes sporting the blow-dried, feathered look wearing pajama-chic clothing, either. Oh well, can't have everything, I suppose. On the upside - you don't have to die at 30.

Pegleg Pete said...

These are great, Major! The Logan's Run/ WDW Tomorrowland vibe is strong indeed. I too know nothing of this fair but I have a friend who went as a child. I'll have to ask her if she remembers much about it.

Chuck said...

Oh, my! Simply gorgeous. This is the future that never was that we all wish were finally here! I half expect to see Flight 92 or 295 lifting off in the background.

Thanks for the homework, Gnometrek. With this and the SFX assignment from yesterday, I'll have a busy weekend.

Anonymous said...

In the second photo I see in the distance the high voltage towers that Godzilla likes to plow through.

Dean Finder said...

Here's a page with some educational films from Osaka '70 and links to other sites with more info. Time for me to get reading.

K. Martinez said...

There... is... no... sanctuary.

Nice set today. Before I clicked to enlarge the second image it kind of looked like an architectural model with those plastic people pinned to the walkways. Thanks, Major

Anon, Those high voltage "Godzilla" towers are very cool.

Nancy said...

lol at K.Martinez!! That was exactly my thought. All the Fairs of the 60s and 70s seem very EPCOT Center / Logan's Run to me. Its one of my favorite movies!

Looking forward to more, David! :)

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, if only “now” looked as futuristic in real life! Yes, that giant arm thing is very kooky.

Gnometrek, I saw that website, but to be honest I was writing that post in kind of a hurry! I think Bill Cotter might have a book about Expo 70, if so I need to buy it.

Scott Lane, remember a pre-famous Farah Fawcett? Still, I love my Jenny.

Pegleg Pete, wow, what kind of lucky kid got to go to Osaka! I could never convince my parents to go to Florida, for crying out loud.

Chuck, on the other hand, I do love my vintage buildings and tear my hair out when anything old is razed, so I guess I’m just a big ol’ hypocrite.

Anonymous, he will use those power lines to trap Hedorah, aka the Smog Monster!

Dean Finder, educational films?! If I wanted education I would have gone to school!

K. Martinez, that one does look like an architectural model! Only architects populate their models with a few zombies, no big crowds.

Nancy, as you know, Disney has always considered EPCOT as kind of a permanent World’s Fair, so it’s no accident that it has much in common with the more modern Fairs of the time.

Anonymous said...

What Scott Lane Said.

JG