Thursday, January 07, 2010

Random Souvenirs!

Souvenirs, getcha souvenirs here! Today's selections are admittedly a bit odd, but that's life.

In fact, this first item isn't even a souvenir, it's... well, I don't really know WHAT it is. It's nicely printed on coated 9" X 12" card stock. Clearly the design is related to the artwork on this poster, although it must date from around 1966, since it features "It's a Small World", but not "Pirates of the Caribbean". Perhaps this was used for in-house for announcements such as "Company picnic this weekend!" (or whatever). Anyway, I think it's neato.


Erasers, huh? That's right, and they're MIB too! That's Mint In Box for you non-collectors. This is the kind of souvenir that a kid might buy for his pal back home. Call me crazy, but I find the crude graphics very appealing.


And lastly, how about this postcard? I've never seen another one just like it with the wavy red border, though I'm sure they are out there. It is one of many "unofficial" Disneyland postcards, and a lot of those were aerial views. Hire a guy with an airplane to fly over the park, snap a few photos, get an artist to enhance the color to be as garish as possible, and voila! You can see the Carousel of Progress building, the Peoplemover, the Skyway, and old Fantasyland.

13 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

But how about that baby blue glacial melt pouring down that waterfall! And the roof was the color of yeller, yeller yeller.

I like the Matterhorn & Mark Twain bubbles on the um thingamajig card thing. :)

TokyoMagic! said...

I like all three of these items, Major! Yeah, that yellow roof is just a little bit much.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Wow, I REALLY dig that poster (my birthday is in May). I wonder if they used it for outsiders too, like the "Teachers Assoc.", etc.?

Call me strange (please) but those Erasers look yummmy....

Anonymous said...

The aerial postcard with the red border is an interesting one. I have a similar one but the red border is only on the bottom edge, not completelty around. Thanks for another interesting variation.

Katella Gate said...

VDT: I too was hoping the eraser set was a box of nugget candy. Obviously this new-year's diet is getting to me.

Re the garish post card, does it actually say Disneyland on the back, or is it a "too famous to mention" deal and they went with "Tons of fun in Anaheim CA"?

Major Pepperidge said...

Katella Gate, the card simply says, "Anaheim, California - Home of Disneyland" on the back.

Vaughn said...

That first one looks like one of those borders they place your photographs in, the ones taken at the park.

Major Pepperidge said...

Vaughn, I know what you mean. But this item is 9 X 12 inches (kind of large), and it dates from around 1966 or early 1967, which as far as I know, is long before they took your picture in the park.

Anna Chi said...

I think #1 must be attractive border for legal disclaimer such as: THIS CONTRACT LIMITS OUR LIABILITY - READ IT (follow by much small print). An attractive card given in parking lot to guest and visitor alike.

Nancy said...

these are very cool.... ;)

Unknown said...

Jimminy those are all awesome!! Look at that lovely blue sky in that postcard! The Matterhorn looks huge!

I'm coveting those erasers too... LOL!

Anonymous said...

That yellow can't possibly be the real color of that roof, I would remember a detail like that.

That has to be added in post-production to spike up the picture for the card.

I remember looking down on those roofs from the skyway thinking I was getting a backstage glimpse. I noticed, even as a kid, how "clean" those roofs were. Minimal penetrations, drains, equipment, etc. undoubtedly to preserve the imagery for overhead observers. I also remember the castle was done with mineral cap sheet built-up system. Those cannot be painted, unlike some of the more modern thermoplastic types. If this were taken today, it could be plausible.

A "real" roof, one outside disneyland is always a wilderness of weird mechanical debris, courtesy of modern mechanical and plumbing systems. It takes real foresight by the architect to keep the roof clear of unsightly flotsam. And built-up roof materials are never yellow.

thanks for sharing this interesting slide! I am a regular reader. I will come over and start at your beginning as soon as I catch up to the present day at Stuff From The Park.

Anonymous said...

I have just discovered something from Marineland of the Pacific in my garage. It has been there for about 20 years but is in excellent condition. It is leather patches about 4" x 2-1/2" with different names imprinted on it. It has the whale Bubbles on it with 3 balloons on its tail and waves across the bottom. It also has two punched holes on the top left and right sides. Doesn't look like a belt item - don't know what it was for?? Does anyone know if these are of any value?? I have about 30 of them with male and female names. If anyone has info please contact me at L421211@aol.com. Thanks