Saturday, July 19, 2008

Columbia, August 1958

OK, here's my theory: This photo of the brand-new "Columbia" was taken from inside a Keel Boat. Crazy? Like a fox! I could be wrong, but it would be kind of cool it true. Please don't make me explain why. I am impressed by the crewmember who is way up in the shrouds (maybe 40 feet above the deck?). All of those nautical flags were stolen from the tops of the buildings in Tomorrowland.


This is somewhat murky, but still a nice picture of a friendly group of folks preparing to set sail. Grandma, to the right, looks a bit green around the gills already, if she is a real lady she will ralph into her handbag rather than over the side.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised to see that a parent of 1958 would let his child sit on the railing like that.....even if he does have his arm around him. It seems more like something a parent of today would do. Sorry mom's and dad's....a little parent bashing.

Anonymous said...

I'm such a fan of these Vintage DL Blogs... but yours has to be my favorite for your sense of humor!

I have to ask, tho -- Is it true that those tiny flags are the same ones that fluttered over Tomorrowland in the 50s? It sounds like the kind of resourceful recycling the company has always done, so I have to wonder...

Anyway, keep up the great work. For someone who was there July 18th, 1955 and grew up with the Park, your site is a blessing!

Major Pepperidge said...

Dreemfinder, thank you for your very nice comments. My comment about the flags being recycled from Tomorrowland was a joke (admittedly a weak one)... I'm sorry that I inadvertently misled you!