Birthday Fun
Let's take a break from Sunday Snoozles™ and with GDB friend Bu a very Happy Birthday! You all know how Sue B. is on top of things, birthday-wise... she sent along with scan from July, 1982 which (I believe) is from the "Bu era". Hidden behind the throngs of humanity is a balloon vendor. IS IT BU?? Well,we can't be sure.
Another thing Sue scanned for this occasion is a 1985 guide/gate handout (brought to you by Kodak). Over 40 years have elapsed since these were given to guests, so there have been lots of changes.
First up: the cover! Cast members line up in the shape of the number 30, for the park's 30th birthday. Nowadays a photographer would just use a drone, easy-peasy. Now was this shot done in 1985? It had to be either a helicopter or a drone (I'm discounting "hot air balloon"!), with my guess being a helicopter. It was early, the sun had just come up, so it was presumably before guests had entered the park. Notice the birthday cake!
Zooming in to the base of the "3", we see Bu in his Tour Guide plaid. He's waving, but was clearly distracted by something. BUT WHAT?? I think the lady in the yellow dress next to him appeared in THIS PHOTO although Bu can hopefully tell us for sure.
Sue wanted to be sure to point out THE DENT - it's definitely there, though not easy to see (as is often the case).
I always love a park map, even small versions like this. It's amazing to think that there was no DCA, no Galaxy's Edge, no Indiana Jones Adventure, no Star Tours, not even a ToonTown!
Information? If I wanted information, I'd look at my complimentary park guide. LIKE THIS ONE. Do you need a Baby Center? A Versateller? Does your tummy hurt from too many hotdogs? Did you lose your child? These two pages have all the data you need. I'm upset to see that they insist that guest wear shirts, how are they supposed to appreciate the giant flaming skull tattoo on my back?
Good old Main Street USA. Ya gotta start here! Bank of America still had a presence, and there was the 30th Birthday Redemption Center. There ye shall find redemption.
I wish I'd gone into the "Disneyland Showcase", I'm sure I walked right past it in a daze. Most of these shops and restaurants (with a few exceptions) are familiar, though I like the Camera Center presented by Kodak. Get yourself a souvenir photo "aboard a replica of the lilly Belle".
As I mentioned earlier, this was pre-Indiana Jones. But there was still the Tahitian Terrace, oh boy! And the Swiss Family hadn't moved out of their treehouse yet. I did not know that Guatemalan Weavers were still there in 1985, my mom would have loved that shop.
We know there have been changes to New Orleans Square, but things still feel essentially the same, though the French Market is now Tiana's Palace.
The Country Bear Jamboree was still going strong, it would continue until 2001. I'm not sure I remembered that Wonder Bread ever sponsored the Hungry Bear Restaurant.
You could still ride a Keelboat, watch the Golden Horseshoe Revue, or shop at the Pendleton Store.
This was after the big 1983 Fantasyland refurbishment, so most of this stuff is still there - with the exception of the Motor Boat Cruise.
Tomorrowland has seen many changes! In '85 you could still enjoy Adventure Thru Inner Space, the Starcade, Mission to Mars, America Sings, Circle-Vision, the Peoplemover, the Rocket Jets, and the Skyway. ALL gone now, incredibly.
I am a terrible photographer, so I'm sure I could have used some of these tips from Kodak. But I wouldn't have read this until I got home. Don't rent a Disk Camera at the Kodak Camera Center (or any of the other shops), those things took truly horrible, tiny, grainy photos. Look at that kid with the mouse ears, he thinks he's so cool. I'll bet I could take him in a fist fight.
And it ends with an ad for Kodak film (including the disc film, YUCK). Digital photography would start to make a real impact in 1990, and Kodak never really got on board. I know they did a little bit, but it was too little, too late.
There you go! It's like we took a time machine back to 1985. I can practically hear "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" or "We Are the World". Thank you to Sue for scanning this fun brochure, and once again, Happy Birthday, Bu!

















2 comments:
Happy Birthday Bu-!
I see you had quite the celebration there at the compass points-! And you invited just a few of your friends, too-! I trust it was grand. Oh wait - that wasn't your birthday celebration-? I'm so confused.
Major-
I'm calling foul on the helicopter: too much downdraft; not to mention the noise. I'll bet they built a tall scaffold - or maybe used a very tall boom lift. (Bu might be able to tell us).
1985 seemed like a mighty fine version of Disneyland - all things considered.
Thanks to Sue and The Major.
Happy 'Bu'rthday Bu! Don't give up on your search for authentic Disneyland orange tree seeds!
In the first pic, Wow! Lotsa people with lotsa bloons! And most of them are still transparent looking, which I like. Don't know if that's Bu under the big cluster of balloons, but they're selling like boxes of popcorn!
In the guide cover: I like how the "Fab 5" are 'stepping out' of the frame at the bottom of the photo. And yes, I spotted Bu before I read your commentary for the close-up.
I think The Dent is slightly more visible in the first (balloons) photo. The guide image has more graininess to it than the scanned 35mm photo.
My! This guide is very colorful and well designed! When you listed all the Tomorrowland attractions that are "ALL gone now, incredibly", it hit prettty hard!. Really brings home how so much has changed, and mostly NOT for the better.
"I'll bet I could take him in a fist fight". I dunno, Major. The kid's got forearms like Popeye!
Nanook, I was also thinking that the guide cover photo was taken by a tall crane (Is that the same thing as a "boom lift"?)
Thanks to Sue and Major for a pleasant diversion from our regularly scheduled programming (Snoozles).
Post a Comment