Friday, September 04, 2026

Two Nice Randos

As you know, I generally try to save some nicer photos for you for Fridays. And that holds true today with two RANDOS! Sorry, I got so excited that I shouted. Let's start with this August, 1965 photo, with a "souvenir guidebook-worthy" look at Fantasyland as seen from the Skyway Chalet steps. Ya gots yer rectangular gondolas (which were brand-new in '65), in pleasing hues (including many turquoise gondolas!), ya gots yer Pirate Ship with that awesome bas-relief above the stern gallery windows - that relief sculpture is one of my favorite Fantasyland details . We even gots the non-Fantasyland Douglas Moonliner in the distance. 


Next, from August, 1970 comes this nice look at a busy Main Street. A couple poses in front of the Main Street Cinema, I don't know why the man is holding a folded up coat in August, but his (pregnant?) wife might need it later. The man sort of looks like a grown up Billy Mumy, I hope he doesn't wish me into the cornfield. (I apologize to Billy Mumy - definitely reading GDB - who has probably had it up to HERE with "wishing you into the cornfield" remarks). He has a 15-adventure ticket book in his pocket, which shows good sense. To the left of that patriotic banner, a young girl holds a movie camera. And the Market House sign mentions Burry's Cookies and C&H Sugar! 


12 comments:

Lou and Sue said...

Helloooooo? Where is everyone? Nanook?? JB?? TokyoMagic?? Anyone?? Are you all at a party and left me out?!?!

TokyoMagic! said...

Here I is!!! Maybe that man is holding a blanket and the couple's first-born is wrapped up in it? Sure it's August in Southern California, but maybe they didn't want the baby to get too much sun. The man's glasses are interesting. It looks like there are little bits of color in the frames, but only along the top portion.

Thanks for the Randos, Major!

Lou and Sue said...

This is just a “test”….as there appears to be a [hopefully temporary] problem for some Jr. Gorillas to post, at this moment. Stay tuned….

JG said...

These are definitely Friday-Worthy pics, Major. Especially photo 1. Brings a tear to my aged eyes.

JG

Lou and Sue said...

Nanook is currently unable to post, so he forwarded the following to me to post:


Major-
That 1st image is a beauty - as it highlights so many 'features' found in Fantasyland. (Please don't leave out the messenger cable supporting the communication wiring running between the Tomorrowland and Fantasyland Skyway stations-!)
 
As for the Billy Mumy "look-alike" - boy oh boy - he has committed [at least] two fashion don'ts: horrendous bangs; and glasses frames that are far too small for his face. The movie camera being held by that 'young girl' is a Kodak Brownie [3-lens] Turret 8mm camera.
 
Thanks, Major.

Bu said...

Friday's are a THING?! When did that happen? No worries: now I know. OK: Fantasyland looking sweet: I DO prefer square buckets to round buckets...and the colors are so very saturated: so "me like". I was never freaked out to go on "the buckets" but in looking at these photos...hmm...that's a tiny wire to be dangling off of...just saying...On to Main Street and Barry's Cookies: the official cookies of the Camp Fire Girls....I think...I do remember that the Camp Fire Girls had way better treats than the Girl Scouts: they were much more "candy" than "cookie"....but maybe Barry did Girl Scouts one year? Hmmm....my mom was a Girl Scout leader....so I went to all those meetings which were held at a local park...probably explains a lot. In any case: I like me some C and H sugar too, and Barry's Cookies...no matter who's selling them. C and H has a very sparkly sign next to their factory/refinery in Northern California: right before you pass on a bridge to "Wine" going to the Napa Valley in the East Bay. I guess in the day C and H was a lot of hustle and bustle....but I'd have to check if the refinery is even open....the sign was pretty magnificent and sparkly when you came back after a day of swilling....very Main St. USA....Hopefully that sign lives on. I remember those commercials plugging "From Hawaiii.....growin' in the sun". "Pure cane sugar...that's the one!"......you can get cane juice from Hawaii (small farms...very boutique...not easy) and I suppose make your own sugar: that's something that I want to explore at some point...and when I was living/working in Hawaii we would buy canes from the side of the road to chew....so very tasty....The giant sugar business turned into tourism in Hawaii...but the C and H name prevails....now getting cane from other places. Cane in Hawaii is as rare as an Anaheim Orange.....Thanks Major. OH! And the guy with the baby coming.....he looks like that Muppet....Scooter? And does give off some Mumy-Vibes....

JB said...

Wow, so much going on in this pic! It's chock-full of Disneyland goodness. Busy, busy, busy, with so much to see and do. And the photographer was lucky to catch the Moonliner on its launching pad; it's usually rocketing somewhere near the Moon!

What a pleasant Main Street photo. Busy, like you said, but still do-able. From this angle it looks a lot like a real main street in a medium-sized town. I love how all the facades are scrunched together. I'm not sure, but I think Melissa will give today's fashion award to the Sunflower Lady to the left of Billy Mumy. I wonder if she made that top herself. The sunflower looks like an appliqué, rather than printed on.

Hey! Where did Major go? Oh my god, he's been wished into the cornfield! Somebody get a backhoe! (Thanks, Major.)

JB said...

^ Hey! It worked! I tried posting using Firefox; tadaaah!

"Lou and Sue" said...

This is just another "test" comment. I think some Jr. Gorillas are still having problems with commenting now. I was able to post earlier from my cell phone. Now I'm trying from my laptop....

"Lou and Sue" said...

FYI: I used Safari...

Lou and Sue said...

Update: Our Major is also having problems posting comments, so I’m adding his, separately, below…(everyone please hang in til we figure out what’s going on with blogger…thank you!)

Major Pepperidge said...

Lou and Sue, maybe it’s a sign! Time to retire. It would be OK!

TokyoMagic!, the man is holding an imaginary baby. Sometimes he talks to it and laughs, much to the consternation of those passing by. I can’t really tell what’s going on with Billy Mumy’s glasses.

Lou and Sue, I couldn’t even comment, no matter what device I tried. Something was up!

JG, there was really something special about that old Fantasyland.

Lou and Sue, it’s weird that some people can comment, but others can’t! What’s going on, Google? I usually don’t mention that other cable, there’s only so many times one can talk about it! Poor Billy,  I just got new glasses, I hope they are OK for my face. The woman at the optical center swore they looked good. Not that she wants to sell them or anything! Who gives an 8 year-old a movie camera? Can you imagine how crummy those movies looked?

Bu, yes, Fridays have been a thing for years. Ya gots to pay attention! I strive to share “better” photos on Fridays (not always successfully), to sort of kick-start your weekend. I don’t ever remember being scared on the Skyway, maybe I did get scared at some point early on. It was so smooth and fascinating. Camp Fire Girls, do they still exist? What the heck are Brownies? Luckily I still like Thin Mints (straight from the freezer), so I can buy cookies from the Girl Scouts in front of the grocery store. My mom would just give the nearby mom a $20 and say that she didn’t like the cookies, but here’s some cash! I’ve never gnawed on a sugar cane, but I want to try it. Not sure I’ll ever go to Hawaii… I don’t know why, but I’ve never felt drawn there. I want to go to Hawaii circa the early 1950s. How do I make that happen? 

JB, I love those old photos of Disneyland with so much color and activity, it evokes some of the thrill I felt as a kid when we’d visit. The Moonliner is just right, over there on the edge of the first image. I am sure I’ve mentioned this before, but years ago when I visited my grandparents in Minnesota, I was struck by how their Main Street reminded me of Disneyland’s - only it had seen better days. Still the resemblance was there. Leave me in the cornfield, but bring me some salt and butter!

JB, I’ll try Firefox, maybe that will work for me too.