Sunday, July 19, 2026

Snoozles™

Photos of the Jungle Cruise yield more Snoozles™ than you can shake a stick at. Whatever that means! Issues range from "same old, same old" images, photos with big silhouetted heads, or pictures of a lush jungle (and not much else). 

This first Snoozle was taken as the naphtha-powered launch approached Schweitzer Falls; I wonder if the photographer knew that he was about to see the Back Side of Water? "This is my favorite part!". It's too bad that the Back Side is a a black hole, devoid of hope or happiness. 


You might not know it, but there's a headhunter behind that log and that grass. Maybe even more than one! But the photographer's timing was way off, a common problem among Jungle Cruise pictures. The skull looks great though!


18 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
The Jungle Cruise is 'the attraction that keeps on giving'. The jury is still out as to just what the attraction gives to photographers, as the images so often are merely seas of jungle flora, green water, or the backs of guests' heads-! E for effort must be given, though.

Thanks, Major.

Lou and Sue said...

I love the backside of water!

In that 2nd image, I think the Imagineers should add “hybrid front projection technology” to that skull.
NOT!

JB said...

Ok. Yes, this one is a gen-u-ine Snoozle. No ifs, ands, or buts about it! Ya gots yer same ol', same ol', yer silhouetted heads, and yer lush jungle and not much else. A trifecta! I'm wondering though, are we looking out the back of the boat? If so, does that mean we've already seen the Back Side of Water? And does that mean the image is flip-flopped? Nevertheless, this image gets a 90% Snoozle rating. It would've gotten 100% if the picture was blurry! Nice view of the Falls though.

I agree, nice view of the skull. It's even a little out-of-focus, indicating the photographer actually got the semi-mythical headhunter in sharp focus! Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Nice colorful feathers though! I guess we'll have to wait to see actor Woody Strode another day. I think that grass is papyrus, imported all the way from the Nile!... Or maybe from a garden center a mile or two from Disneyland.

Sue, make that skull really sparkle!

Honest-to-goodness, for real, Snoozles on this Sunday. It's been a while! Thank you, Major.

Lou and Sue said...

”Ok. Yes, this one is a gen-u-ine Snoozle. No ifs, ands, or buts about it!

JB, did you do that on purpose? (Regarding the backside of water) Chuck will get a kick out of it, at least, anyway.

JB said...

Sue, I wanna say, "Yes! I did it on purpose!", but no. Remind me of the Chuck connection?

TokyoMagic! said...

I think the part of the Cruise we are seeing in that first pic, is the part where the boat has just passed the "front side" of Schweitzer Falls while going around a bend in the river. If a boat were to be viewing the "backside" of water at that same moment, it would be traveling from behind that lady's head, and heading towards those rocks on the left side of the pic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I just scanned 5 Jungle Cruise slides that my dad had taken in the summer of 1966. I will be posting them next month! I must say that four of them are pretty good shots of the various figures and scenes, but the fifth one is just of a shadowy dark "wall" of bamboo. I was wondering if my dad took the pic by accident, or if there had been something he was aiming at, but missed. I will never know, but at least he took four good ones!

By the way, did anyone watch the film, "Bob Gurr: Living By Design" on PBS on Friday night? It was excellent! I didn't find out about it's airing until the last minute, otherwise I would have given a heads-up about it to everyone here.

TokyoMagic! said...

Apparently you can watch the film free of charge, on PBS' site:

Bob Gurr: Living By Design


Chuck said...

”It's too bad that the Back Side is a black hole, devoid of hope or happiness.”

Um, phrasing?

JB, I believe Sue was focusing on the word “but,” which is a homonym of “butt,” which, as we all know, is a cask for wine or ale, derived from the Old French botte and Medieval Latin butta, but I’m at a loss as to how you’d make a pun out of that connected with the backside of anything.

JG said...

Major, I’m shaking a stick at these pictures right now. What is supposed to happen when I do that? They aren’t getting more interesting.

Photo 1, Tokyo is correct, our boat has passed in front of the Falls and is turning down the Nile segment. So technically we haven’t yet seen the back side of water, which is overrated anyway.

The skull is the best part of photo 2, especially since they have been removed from the current ride. Although I don’t understand why skulls are ok in Pirates, but not here. That headhunter is going to offer us 2 of his, for 1 of ours, which is a great deal, since 2 heads are clearly better than one, especially if we are talking about Star Wars screen writers.

Thanks Major, I’m going to put my stick away until the next batch of JC pics.

JG

zach said...

Thanks,TM! I just watched Leslie Iwerks DL Handcrafted and found it fun and interesting.

I, too, agree we are seeing the front side of water, not the back side.

The photos may be Snoozles™ but at least the comments aren't.

Thanks Major

Zach

zach said...

Oh, @chuck- Har!

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, as I’ve said before, I love the Jungle Cruise, but am usually very disappointed when I find that a lot of slides has four, five, or even more photos from that one ride. They are almost always Snoozles! It’s just the way it works.

Lou and Sue, you should be working at Imagineering!

JB, unfortunately, that trifecta of Jungle Cruise traits is all too common. I think you’re right, it does look like we’re looking out the back of the boat. Which means that perhaps the boat has just passed the front side of water? Not sure. Now that the headhunters are gone, I am happy to get good photos of them. GOOD photos, not today’s example! If you watch one of those very early “Disneyland” episodes, they show the man used for the full-body mold for every native, and you really can see that it is him once you know. Looks like it was an unpleasant process. I wonder if he went to the park and pointed himself out to his friends and family?

Lou and Sue, we can’t talk about “buts”, this is a family blog.

JB, just always say “Yes, I meant to do that”! And yes, I admit I don’t get the Chuck connection.

TokyoMagic!, yeah, once I read JB’s comment, I realized he was probably right - as you said, the boat had passed the front side of water. But the important thing is that we can *see* the back side of water in this photo! Well, no we can’t because it’s too dark. I can’t win. I look forward to seeing your dad’s pics! I went to the premier of “Bob Gurr: Living by Design” at the Alex Theatre in Glendale! Thanks to the generosity of a Junior Gorilla who gave me his ticket when he was unable to go.

TokyoMagic!, my favorite part of the documentary is when Bob shows up at his old house, and the family that is currently living there looks pleased and awkward.

Chuck, my phrasing is perfect and intentional every time! Some say I’m like a young Hemingway!! In fact “Many people are saying…”!!! MANY PEOPLE! I guess we can approve of comments discussing butts when invoking Latin and French, those languages are classy as hell.

JG, maybe you need the right stick to shake at things? Not just any old stick? I thought we saw the back side of water before we saw the front side of water, but admit that I don’t remember the ride that clearly. I’m usually looking at cat pictures on my phone. I’m guessing that the skulls in the Jungle Cruise were deemed a no-no because they were supposedly taken by headhunters, whereas the pirates just died doing pirate stuff. A small distinction, but I guess it mattered to somebody.

zach, I think that “Handcrafted” documentary is great, I have watched it three times now (over several months). But we know that there is another 200+ hours of footage that we will probably never see, even if only 10% of that is worthy of watching, that’s a lot!!

zach, don’t encourage him!

Bu said...

I like Snoozles(tm) the best...always forensics to be done...people take a lot of pictures of waterfalls...I suppose they are generally pretty photogenic, no matter what. I grew up around many waterfalls down the fjords of Norway....and you would hear them all day every day. And smell them. There is a smell to falling water. And there is also a smell to "Albert Falls"....a smell I can't describe...but...let's say kind of algae meets leaves sitting in a pond + frog essence. I think that second picture is where the natives come up behind the grasses. Could be. Love the skull...very ominous. Papyrus: yes...very Egyptian. And it's a lovely plant. Papyrus paper will last forever FYI: which is why there are still scrolls and whatnots found in Egypt and other places. I recently found an Egyptian art piece that I "bought" in Cairo....it's still in fine shape 35+ years later...it's a little "gold"-ish..not really my jam...but It's cool to me: as it brings back a memory of being held against my will in a foreign country unless I handed over US $$ for art...I was such a courageous young lad back then! They could have been forcing other things on me...so all good. If you look at a cross section of papyrus it is in the shape of a pyramid...just FYI, and appropriate of course. No bad on Egypt, I LOVED that adventure...and that was just a blip on the screen of soooo many blips and crazy things...Egypt is most definitely enigmatic, and despite a slight kidnapping, I felt enormously safe. Don't mess with tourists, it's a lifeblood of economy. Sailing down the Nile on a felucca sharing a water pipe (tobacco) with the locals as the sun set over Karnak...was kind amazing...we didn't understand each other, but we completely understood that moment together...see!: snoozles(tm) are great memory recall tools! Thanks Major!

TokyoMagic! said...

TokyoMagic!, my favorite part of the documentary is when Bob shows up at his old house, and the family that is currently living there looks pleased and awkward.

And they must have been given a heads-up, even though it was obviously supposed to appear to be "spontaneous," because at least two of the family members were wearing Mickey Mouse apparel. Maybe their awkwardness was actually embarrassment, because they had totally gutted the inside of his childhood home!

"Lou and Sue" said...

JB, I had figured you'd read my mind, like you usually do. I guess we weren't on the same wavelength earlier....did you not have your foil hat on??

TM! I'm looking forward to your dad's JC pictures. And thank you for the link to the Bob Gurr movie...I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Chuck, you did not disappoint.

I enjoyed today's cruise with you all, thank you!

Dean Finder said...

Thanks for the heads' up on that Bob Gurr documentary. I set a timer on my DVR to catch it if they show it again.

Lou and Sue said...

^ Dean, if you click on that link from TM, you can watch the movie at that moment.

JB said...

Sue, I rarely wear my foil hat these days... it was giving me a rash.