Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Adventureland/Jungle Cruise Shirt and Toy Boat

Last Sunday I posted some Snoozles™ that included the following photo:


Nanook found this photo on Daveland's blog (used with permission), it sure looks like the same shirt style!


Meanwhile, Mike Cozart left this info in the comments: That Jungle Cruise costume was the Summer version and it was used into the late 1960’s. It was iconic enough that the shirts were sold in Adventureland as “DISNEYLAND JUNGLE CRUISE BOATSMAN SPORT SHIRT”. The tags read: "As worn in Adventureland by jungle Cruise Boatsman, capturing the color and excitement of adventure, lands tropics your casual Boatsman sport shirt was created in style by Walt Disney artist from actual shirts, worn by Boatsman in Sumatra “ sold exclusively at Disneyland. The red is the most common version , but a yellow and a burgundy was also common.

Mike has one of those shirts! Incredible! Here it is:


I can't imagine how rare these shirts must be, and his even has the original paper tag.


I'm not sure I've ever seen the term "Boatsmen" used for Jungle Cruise guys (and they were all guys back then), but hey, it's all good. What a fantastic item!


Sold Exclusively at DISNEYLAND


Nanook found another great Daveland photo, showing a "Boatsman" helping guests to board the launch, while wearing one of the very shirts that Mike owns.


Mike also included some photos of a wonderful toy Jungle Cruise souvenir boat, something that I don't believe that I've ever seen before.


Mike says that these boats were sold around the same time as the shirt …. Mine has blue striped awning but a friend of mine has a green one … so I assume there must have been a red version two.


The jungle boat is wood , metal and cloth and only 5 3/4” long. I WANT ONE!


 MANY THANKS to Mike Cozart for sharing his wonderful souvenirs! And thanks to Dave DeCaro for letting me use some of his photos.

16 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
What a fun post-! I feel so tropical, all of a sudden.

Thanks to Mike for supplying the eye candy.

JB said...

Wow, the shirt is nice, and rare (pass the steak sauce!), but the toy boat (toyboat,toyboat,toyboat) is what caught my eye. That thing is hand-crafted! I love that the 'canvas' roof is (evidently) cut and attached by-hand. And it looks like the support poles are just random twigs picked up off the ground. I wonder if the dirt is part of the paint job? And these were sold in the park? Each one a unique, one-of-a-kind creation. I don't know how much they charged for one of these boats back in the day, but it must be worth a bunch today!

Thanks, Mike! Wonderful items. And thank you too, Major.

MIKE COZART said...

Major: don’t forget to show the back of the tag : “sold exclusively at Disneyland”

MIKE COZART said...

The Jungle Cruise boat toy is all wood … but the canopy supports are metal pegs . The canopy is cloth . The bottom of the boat has a foil sticker that reads “made in Japan”. I’ve only ever seen two of these … mine and my friend’s in the green canopy. There must be more out there !

TokyoMagic! said...

Gee, that shirt looks like it is in mint condition, and the tag, too!

Mike, if I were you, I would play with that Jungle Cruise boat in the bathtub and/or pool, everyday! ;-)

Thanks for sharing these with us, Mike! And Major, too!

Anonymous said...

Nice! I'm thinking of wearing nothing but Jungle Cruise Boatsman shirts from now on! Of course I don't actually own any, so that may be a fatal flaw to the plan. I really like the little boat too! I'd also like one of the radio controlled jobs from the arcade attraction. Manning that in my shirt would be incredible!!! (Especially since I have neither...)
Thanks Major and Mike!

Anonymous said...

Sigh....that was Stu...

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, beware of leeches! But if you find any on you, take them over to the Upjohn Pharmacy.

JB, I am astonished that Mike has one of these shirts (which I did not even know about until he mentioned them in the comments). Unworn and with the tag! Incredible! The toy is wonderful too, I’ve seen other Jungle Cruise boat toys, but never this charming version, which I prefer. I doubt the supports are random twigs!! I’ll bet the boats cost a few dollars, and people grumbled about the “high price”.

Mike Cozart, sorry, somehow I accidentally missed that one. ADDED.

Mike Cozart, I agree, there must be more of those boats out there, but because it doesn’t say “Disneyland” on them anywhere, a person would have to be aware that “Jungle Cruise” refers to the park, and is not just a generic name. I want one with a red-striped canopy now!

TokyoMagic!, yes, Mike’s shirt looks very well cared-for. Mike should only wear that shirt on “Sloppy Joe Day” at work!

Anonymous, I agree, I’m going to stop wearing the sequined disco shirts that I usually wear, and am going to switch to something more jungly. Those radio controlled boats that used to be at the Disneyland Hotel are pretty neat, it just occurred to me that Joel Magee had at least one of them, and I don’t think it was in the big auction. Look for it in “part two”?

Anonymous, WHAT was Stu? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mike has all the good stuff!

Major and Dave DeCaro, thanks for the showcase photos!

Since it is tropical shirt weather, I will wear mine tomorrow.

JG

Dean Finder said...

That shirt is a gem. I have one of the shirts sold at the Aulani resort to match the castmember shirts, but it's not nearly as nice as that boatman shirt.

MIKE COZART said...

I wonder if there were equivalent paper tags for the Enchanted Tiki Room cast shirts and cast muumuus that were sold in Adventureland??? If so I now aware of having ever seen one or heard about anyone having an example. ( yet)

MIKE COZART said...

I’m NOT aware

Anonymous said...

A refreshing deep dive of delights. Cheers.

MS

MIKE COZART said...

MAJOR :

Joel Magee had a radio controlled jungle cruise boat from the Disneyland Hotel and from
WDW’s Adventureland … both were auctioned in the JOEL MAGEE POP CULTURE auction Van Eaton held last year .
But it’s possible he has more ??

Anonymous said...

I love these shirts—tropical, Hawaiian, boatsmen, whatever you prefer to call them...men always look great in them!

Thanks, Mike and Major!

Sue

Anonymous said...

And thanks to Dave, too!

Sue