Monday, February 06, 2023

More From Ken S.

It's time for another selection of images, graciously donated by GDB pal Ken S.! And once again, he has included recollections from his own days as a Disneyland cast member. Better than the photos? Let's call it a tie, they're both great! I'll let Ken take over.

Ah…the organized Cast Member parties of Summer.  They were like the bookends of the Summer Season when the ‘permanents’ mixed with the “seasonal” CMs.  Custer’s Last Stand, held earlier in the Summer on the anniversary of his last stand, begun by the canoe Indians, became essentially a bacchanal consisting of many hundreds of Cast Members where the liquor was bottomless, the bands echoing through whatever large venue was selected, or dared to host us…endless dancing and frivolity…with hangovers and fortunate selective brain loss later in life (as in “I deny all knowledge!”).   And then in August, the Adventureland crew sponsoring its own party, the Banana Ball.

During my time, it was portrayed as a more subdued event, where one was encouraged to wear tropical garb…like a couple cocoanuts over a bikini.  But that’s another story.  While that would not have been frowned upon (smile), it was a relaxed version of Custer’s with a little less noise but the same amount of booze.  Some decorations were in the venue…maybe an item or two that needed to be returned to the JC before supervision found out.  Were there wild times?  Uh… I forget (smile).  But I liked the tropical tone that the JC guys could put on…at least being able to hold it together for an hour or two.  Many a relationship began or ended on that night.  But it was just plain fun.  Today so many of us laugh about it and some pictures get posted that are strictly for those participants intended to see them.  LOL.  And that tells me that while it was a bit risqué at times, we all took it in good fun and still look upon that innocence with a subtle smile and wink.  And look at those prices for admission for such an event.  Less than a hour’s wages at top scale, which for me was $6.47/hr.  That’s the equivalent of $33.45 at the moment.  WOW!
As I began to find more of my old CMs on social media, I asked one who moved up and retired from Disney if these parties…or something of similar scale, were still being held either at Disneyland or WDW.  He was always involved in them.   His response was “It’s no longer possible, Ken”.  It was a sobering answer acknowledging another tradition being lost over time.


Doesn’t this look like a cute couple?  But they weren’t in reality.  It was just a moment in time.  Such a favorite of mine.  The clock in the background says the next show is 7:40pm.  Denny was the foreman on Tiki and this is at the turnstile entrance.  Denny and Joan.  It’s my thinking she was leaving for the day and was walking to the locker room when she was captured for the picture.  Such great CMs.  And Denny…you are so missed.


Speaking of tradition was the never-ending shenanigans while “on stage” which have been well documented.  And showing off for the camera was the ‘Canoe Reserves’.  In case we found ourselves shorthanded we kept a few in a dock box.  Right!  Denny, at the rear of this line up.  Oh, was he fun to have in your rotation…and a star baseball player for the Adventureland team.  Unfortunately, I can’t identify the slightly hidden fellow in front of him after all these years.  Jim…again just a fun guy and jock who was a QB for a nearby college.  Within 4 years of this shot, he was the starting QB for the Seattle Seahawks.  By then I was living in Oregon, listening to the game on my radio.  Talk about whiplash!  Last upfront is John whom we have met before.  He’s still happily selling real estate in Santa Fe and doing very well.


My first nametag with my one- and 5-year pins attached.  More like punching a hole through the plastic like a stud earring in an ear lobe except a whole lot less than painful…or so I assume.  I would wear an earring while working Pirates but it was a clip…just to add to the attraction and not as a personal statement.


Lastly, taken in the Wheelhouse of the MT.  Some of the infamous CMs of the era.  There are pictures floating around with CMs in the Wheelhouse with beer they would smuggle in.  But not this time.  “Wild Bill” on the left.  That was a play on words.  He was quiet with a sharp wit.  His “real job” was a teacher at a nearby high school.  Spent years at the Park as did so many other educators as a side job.  Steve, obviously in civilian clothes, and Jim.     What cutups.  Steve was a surfer who started selling surf gear to surf shops.  He became the top salesman for a small company that isn’t small anymore.  And he’s still surfing, taking trips back to Orange County from his home in Utah.  I think he got a “no rehire”.  LOL.  Showed them!  Jimmy, a legend within our group.  He became an OC fireman who manned the crew at the John Wayne Airport as I found out a few years ago from him.  Retired, living the good life with that sense of humor intact.  Many a time when I flew in and out of John Wayne and saw the firehouse along the runway…to think we essentially crossed paths frequently over the years.  With his sense of humor, I would love to have been a fly on the wall inside that unit!  


Wow! Thank you SO MUCH, Ken! I absolutely love your stories and memories. I'm sure that many readers (including me) wish they'd had a chance to work at the park during those golden years. I have one more batch of photos from Ken for another post, STAY TUNED!

22 comments:

Nanook said...

Ken-
Thanks, again, for sharing your CM memories. It's a great vicarious experience for me, and continues to add another layer to the 'mystique' of The Happiest Place On Earth, and why it was so much fun.

And thank you, too, Major.

JB said...

I think Nanook touched upon how I feel about these posts by Ken S., that is, living vicariously through Ken's stories and photos. I read what he says and look at the pictures and my mind goes wandering, thinking, "what if...". What if I was one of those CMs during the Golden Age! The good times we would have had. The memories. The lasting friendships.

It's too bad things can't happen that way at the Park anymore. Although, I imagine some sort of hijinks continue to take place; creating new memories for todays CMs. At least I hope so.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and photos, Ken. We're all richer for it. And thank you, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

Ken, thank you so much for sharing more of your personal photos with us. It sure does look like everyone was having a lot of fun. I have to say that I had a lot of fun during the one short holiday season that I was a cast member. After working in the parade, I always intended to go back and apply for a position in the park that would have provided more hours. Instead, I applied at Knott's and kind of got "stuck" over there for a while. But we had a lot of fun behind the scenes at Knott's, too.

Thanks again, and thank you Major, too!

Bu said...

Thanks Ken for your memories and the photos! What a great time it was, although we might have been ships passing in the night...however, I/We/Us...definitely took over in the shenanigans department! The Banana Ball grew to INFAMOUS heights...I can remember a lot of beer...and a sticky floor...lots of fake flower leis...bikini tops...grass skirts....what debauchery! And the next day....many many many hangovers under the watchful eye of supervision. I think the Banana Ball invitations extended out past the confines of the JC ADV/FRNT Ops crew, but then ODV squeezed ourselves into anything as we knew everyone everywhere...I suppose like the sweepers- who we were also very close to. I like the dark name tag and the more dignified service pins. I did not wear any service pins. In my time they were brass, and I think had Mickey on the one year, and Donald on the 5. I actually had a couple of 1 year anniversary's....when I transferred departments, I had to go back down to seasonal status ("to show my loyalty" (I quote). So, one day at home, very randomly, I got a letter from the controller Jim Quigley (who I think was a Club 55 guy...) asking me to turn in my name tag, Silver Pass, Disneyland ID....etc. etc. due to my "termination". Huh? Yes, they terminated me to hire me again and make me a seasonal. I suppose it was less paperwork. It was all a seniority thing, top of the barrel in one place, and then bottom in the next, and seniority only counted from being a permanent employee, so had to "apply" again, after the "season" had ended when they were accepting more permanent employees. I think as a casual/seasonal I worked more hours than a permanent employee, and was always called when someone was out sick/etc. I always obliged and was happy to help. I challenged my seniority date later when my "real" 5 years came up...I looked at my hours worked and saw that I averaged more than 30 hours a week continuously since my initial employment- even off season. I didn't really want anything but the 10 year pin (which would come in 3 years), but they absolutely would not budge on the date. I missed the 5 year breakfast at the Blue Bayou which I heard was really good with steak and eggs...not sure if that happens any more, but it was a nice gesture for my 7 year anniversary :) When I got to my "real 10", I decided that my expiration date was up and I was on to other things and adventures! It would have been nice to leave with a 10 year pin, but in retrospect, I would have given it away to a more deserving soul. My 5 year pin is somewhere in this house...gotta look for that thing! Thanks for the memories/photos etc!

Steve DeGaetano said...

These stories and photos are so fun to read and look at! Thanks Ken!

Nanook said...

@ Bu-
Jim Quigley was a "55er", retiring as supervisor of the Payroll Department in February, 1994. Companies employing 'casual' or 'seasonal' employees develop mighty fine ways of determining "actual years worked", in many cases unfairly mis-crediting the employee. I've been affected by that practice myself.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Ken! These are so much fun! I wonder if I would have been a cut up or if I would have been too reserved. I think I'm going to choose to be in the "cut up" category! That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Melissa said...

Nothing better than good memories of young people having fun, and the photographic evidence to prove it!

Nanook said...

Major-
I didn't mean to imply that Jim Quigley was in any way responsible for denying earned, working 'credits'. His name was merely juxtaposed with my general comment about how there's a lot of "creative number-crunching" in the Payroll world...

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone. I enjoy sharing and the comments draw out even more memories. BU...you are right on target. Sounds like the Banana Ball just got a little out of hand in later years. The story of sticky floors while dancing brings back memories of Custer's Last Stand at the time of my appearance. Yep...transferring between Foods and Operations in 1970 meant I had to lose my permanent status AND start as a seasonal all over again...at base pay. The explanation was that the different unions would not recognize seniority with each other. So, yep...between October 1970 and October 1971 I went back to the beginning. Then put in my name as a candidate for the permanent jobs that opened up. I was told that some 300+ seasonals in Operations had requested C status. And of that 70 or so were selected PARK WIDE. I was one of the lucky ones. However, I found that my position was in Tomorrowland and landed at Autopia for several months. When told one afternoon while checking my schedule backstage that I was soon to be trained on Subs, I asked if I could transfer back to Adventureland/Frontierland. I got a call mid-week to report to the JC the following weekend and never looked back! KS

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, I’m just surprised that nobody is holding a Diet Pepsi.

Nanook, I know that you weren’t accusing Jim Quigley of anything, so I phrased my own comment badly. Not the first or last time!

KS, you can’t call a party the “Banana Ball” and not expect it to eventually get out of hand! What was “Custer’s Last Stand”? I feel like it’s been mentioned, but I don’t remember. Wow, that stinks that you would lose your permanent status, although it sounds like eventually things went the way you wanted them to. Did you not enjoy your time on the Subs? I know that being a JC Skipper is the dream for many, but I would think that the Subs would be pretty neat too.

Anonymous said...

Major...Never made it to Subs. The moment I was told the 'good news' about being trained on Subs, I asked for a transfer which is what I wanted all along. I handled it diplomatically of course thanking the supervisor for considering me for the training opportunity. I suppose there was someone on the West side that wanted to go East and so there was a swap. The areas were separately managed. The vibe for me was always better West side! I understand Unload on Subs was where the diesel fumes were. Many who worked there had a good time. I just got a taste of the JC working as a seasonal there and liked the area so much more. Autopia was NOT the JC...or Pirates...or the MT nor...(fill in the blanks).

Custer's was bigger and more boisterous. I wouldn't have been surprised that a 1000 attendees were at that one. It was pretty much a party for the whole park. I used to remember how many kegs and gallons of booze was ordered for that one but it would blow your mind! It was held at the Santa Ana Union Hall and the music never stopped because one band was right after the other...there was no down time. But like BU mentioned, absenteeism the following day was not to be tolerated. LOL. The stories of those who barely made it through their 8 hour shifts. Sunglasses to help with the hangover headaches. Yes, it was a different time. KS

Anonymous said...

KS- I was one of those that had a good time working Subs (late 70s- early 80s). Of the rides I was trained on, it was my favorite- having a cool uniform helped also. You are correct about the diesel fumes- I recall some busy weekends, having all 3 loading areas operating & working rear dock (you knew what diesel smelled like...). But some 40+ years later, I think I have recovered...;)

-DW

Anonymous said...

DW...LOL You may have been working with a fellow by the name of Barnyak AKA Barnie. I think we all had our favorites to work. I just found my home to be on that other side! ;) KS

Warren Nielsen said...

Ken, about the Canoe Reserves pic, the guy named Jim, starting QB for the 'Hawks, must be Jim Zorn? Played here from 1976 to 84, so the time frame seems to fit. Wiki says he was born, raised and went to school in the area, so it must have been a seasonal thing. Explains why he was in the reserve box. Interesting.

W

Bu said...

Note on Mr. Quigley: no rub on him...just doing his job. He actually was quite nice and pleasant in all respects...after all, he had thousands of paychecks to process...AND we were paid every week, rather than every other week. I haven't had a job since where I got paid every week. Also, not terribly bitter about the PPT, C/S status...and my situation didn't really jive with the union thing, as I was going from union, to non-union. We followed (loosely) the guidance of Master Services contract, but there were many differences, nuances, etc. We were paid for "pre work time" and "post work time"...and I am pretty sure that we were the only ones that had this...we also got a paid lunch if we ate with our guests...so 8 hours was truly 8 hours. Another anomaly. We also worked in a variety of jobs/locations/etc. on site and off site...in state...out of state...out of country...etc. etc. etc. It did not make sense to unionize, nor were we ever pressured by the union to do so. The seniority was VERY real...and fellow employees would cut you for taking their hours, preferred shifts, preferred locations, preferred celebrities, etc. etc. The least coveted roles were the 10am and 2pm tour...in succession. And I did that for pretty much my entire seasonal life, without a peep of commentary of any type. Any commentary would be construed as "problematic", and therefore render you ineligible for permanent status. One lead's comment for me was "cocky". I kind of delighted in that as had never been referred as such ever in my life. So...I was skipped for permanent status the first time around. "Too cocky" (verbatim) was the feedback I was given when I asked for feedback. Thanks Larry if you are reading this :) If you were remotely out of line in any way shape or form, you were basically signing your own death warrant. For me: Shennanigans were at a full stop. Speaking: unless to a guest, was at full stop. Although I did garner some discipline from the experience, I can honestly say that it felt like either a hazing that took place in a fun house, or attending some kind of alter-world parochial boarding school...where your job was to have fun...but only when allowed to have fun, and the fun must be on point AND on script. Serious business. Don't mess about when your every move is being surveilled...which is probably why today, it is a major red-flag-hot-button for me. (OK...no need to go to my shrink this week....I think I just figured out a milestone/turning point.) Also, to be super clear, the overall experience shaped me for the rest of my life in many positive ways, even the hardcore militaristic supervision. These are things that I would never learn in a school, and Disneyland was probably the best schooling I could have ever had. I'm grateful I did it as a teenager and young adult.

Anonymous said...

KS- I don't recall the name Barnie, but I still may have worked with him because I don't remember all the names.

Someone that I knew from school worked one season on the J.C. He related a story about an incident where he was starting on break & was handing off the S&W pistol to another CM, it slipped & fell in the water. The ride was closed until the on-call Disney diver could retrieve the aforementioned item. That may have gone on his permanent record & may have been the reason he just worked one season...;)

I forgot to thank you for sharing the photos & commentary & also thank Major for posting them.

-DW

JB said...

It's great reading all these responses from former CMs. It's like being a fly on the break room wall.

Anonymous said...

I agree, JB! Thanks, Ken S, Major and everyone!

Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi Warren.... Yes indeed it's Jim Zorn from Cal Poly. Of course he had quite a career with the Hawks and then within the NFL for years. Back then he was a starving student just like the rest of us earning some income. Fun fellow and just part of the group of jocks on the dock. I understand that he kept his old VW bug to remind him of the early years to remain humble. One of my co-workers ran into him a couple years ago at a convention. KS

Anonymous said...

DW...You know, those guns were the Real McCoy and they were inventoried at the beginning and ending of the day before delivered to a secure location for overnight.

BU...We were all held to strict standards but I certainly got away with much more. Nonetheless, the standards overall were something I carried with me and took me all over the world in my career. So yes...it has definitely tilted in the positive direction for lifetime. Hadn't heard Jim's name for so many years until you mentioned him. KS

JG said...

Ken, stories and pictures like are the core of GDB. Thanks for sharing them.

Major, thanks for hosting!

JG