Monday, October 03, 2022

In Memorium

 I was saddened to learn that our friend Irene passed away on September 29th (thanks to Sue B. for letting me know). While this was not unexpected, losing someone so dear to us is never easy. My heart goes out Irene's family, and I wish them peace and comfort during this difficult time.

I met Irene in person only once, when she kindly contacted me about some Disneyland photos that had been taken by her beloved brother Bruce (some were by his friend James as well). Bruce was being moved into a care facility, and Irene was trying to deal with his belongings, and she decided that I might be a worthy recipient for the photos. So we came up with a meeting place in the Valley, and there she was, in a bright red Mickey sweatshirt! This was in January of 2016.

Imagine my surprise when Irene showed me four LARGE, very full binders of photo prints, as well as other items in boxes. I'd expected maybe a small shoebox. What an amazing gift! I am honored that she chose me as the custodian of these photos, and I know that she was thrilled that the Junior Gorillas were going to see them. She said that she didn't think that most of them would be worth sharing, but so far I've posted over 200 of them. Here is a selection of some of my favorites.

First up is this picture of Fess Parker signing autographs at Disneyland's 40th Anniversary celebration. It's so  cool to see this legend at the park, since he'd been there for Press Preview on July 17, 1955.


Many of the pictures in the binders are from the 1990s, which is actually kind of cool, since I have very few other examples from this era. And, being up to 30-ish years old, they qualify as "history". This shot shows a banner above Main Street for a show in the Fantasyland Theater, "The Spirit of Pocahontas", which debuted in 1995.


Over at the Big Thunder Ranch you'd find the Big Thunder BBQ, which originally opened in 1986 (closing in 1996, and then reopening in 2004 thru 2016). Based on all the other photos in these binders, I'd assume that this nice image is from closer to 1996. It looks like a very pleasant place to relax.


There were a number of images from the Disneyland Hotel, but one of my favorites is this shot of a temporary ice skating rink, with a mini-Zamboni (Zambonette?) dressing the surface for skaters. Sunshine, yucca plants, and ice skating!


Here's an interesting photo taken from the old parking lot, looking toward the giant show building that holds the Indiana Jones Adventure? It's not exactly "go-away green", but hey, it's trying. It appears that there is some sort of stone texture being applied in strips (why?). This is probably from around 1995.


Keeping with the Indy theme, here's a look at the entrance to the queue, obviously from before the attraction had debuted. But it looks almost ready. The top of that temple through the jungle is very intriguing. I wonder if there are any fearsome idols in there? I'd love to look 'em right in the eye and give 'em what fer.


There is a series of neat panorama photo prints which generally were of a better quality than the other prints. I guess those disposable cameras had better lenses? Anyway, it's neat to get a good look at the "Tropical Imports" souvenir stand, right next to the Jungle Cruise. "Give me all of your finest rubber snakes, my good man". 


Here's another undated photo (they are all undated)  from the old parking lot looking toward Main Street Station. Memories....! Besides seeing the old Mark V Monorail passing, you can see the ticket booths, and if you look really closely, the Disneyland RR, full of passengers.


On November 18th, 1993, the "Partners" statue was unveiled at Disneyland, and Walt's nephew Roy E. Disney was there for the dedication ceremonies. It's pretty cool to have this great photo of Roy with Mickey and the statue of his uncle.


There was a whole series of photos from around the Plaza, featuring some scenes inspired by Walt's 1937 masterpiece, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". I've never been able to determine what exactly was going on in these photos, but assume that the scenes were there to coincide with the VHS and LaserDisc release of the movie on October 28, 1994.


There was another series of photos showing various Tomorrowland ride vehicles on display; An Astro Orbiter rocket, an old Autopia car, a Peoplemover car, a Skyway gondola, and... this Rocket Rods vehicle. The Rocket Rods are infamous for replacing the beloved Peoplemover, not to mention for breaking down often, causing great wear and tear on a track that wasn't designed for a ride of that style, and for being very short-lived (from May of 1998 through September 25, 2001).


And finally, the Dream Team had a wonderful series of photos from what I believe was around 1977 (perhaps a year or two later); see PART 1, PART 2, PART 3, and PART 4. And as fun as the actual parade was, my favorite of the bunch is this picture taken after the merriment, when the crowds swarmed onto Main Street.


Back in May, when Knott's Berry Farm's "Ghost Town Alive" event was underway, Irene briefly showed up in a YouTube video! You'll see her as "Miss Amethyst" at 14:41. Irene LOVED Knott's (and especially the "Ghost Town Alive" event), and it's sweet to see her so happy.


I should mention that there are at least 50 photos from Irene that have not yet been shared on GDB, so look for those in the months to come.

Farewell to our dear Irene, rest in peace.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, you did a wonderful job of honoring our beloved Irene. I know she’s looking down from that fun Knott’s Berry Farm section in Heaven, and smiling (and giggling).

—Sue

Nanook said...

To quote Helen Keller...
"What was once enjoyed and deeply loved,
we can never lose.
For all that we love deeply
becomes a part of us".


Irene's generosity has brought joy to me and I believe has helped strengthen our little group of Junior Gorillas.

MIKE COZART said...

Very sad news. Major thank you for letting us all know. Farewell Irene.

JB said...

Like you said, Major, this news wasn't unexpected. But it's jarring and sad, just the same.

I'm so grateful to Irene, her brother Bruce, and his friend James for sharing all their photos with us.

Besides any offspring we may have, the only type of immortality that we know of for sure, are the things and deeds that we leave behind to be used, seen, heard, felt, read, and remembered by those who are still here and those that come later. So, whenever we see these "Dream Team" photos we'll always think of Irene and thank her for sharing them with us.

I'll always remember Irene's sense of joy whenever she told us of an upcoming trip to Knott's Berry Farm, which she loved so much. Or telling us of her past trips to Knott's. I think she enjoyed the festivals the most.

Thanks for this memoriam, Major. A fitting tribute to our friend Irene. And thanks for the video. It made me smile to see Irene having fun at Knott's.

And thank you, Sue. It can't be easy having to keep abreast of sad tidings, and convey them to us.

Bu said...

Rest in peace Irene- now up there in Knott's '75 with ticket books and a boysenberry pie.

Chuck said...

Thank you, Irene, for your generous contributions to our community over the years. You are already missed. Say “hello” to Patrick Devlin, Thufer, and the rest of the gang that have gone on before us, and thank Bruce for his wonderful pictures. We won’t forget you…any of you. May you rest In peace and joy, free of the cares, toil, and pain of this world in that Wonderful World of Color to Come, a place that’s more amazing than anything that Bud Hurlbut or the Flower Street Gang could have possibly imagined. I look forward to meeting you in person when it’s my turn.

TokyoMagic! said...

This is sad news. My sincerest condolences go out to her family. And thank you once more, to Irene, for saving and sharing Bruce and James' photos, for all of us to enjoy.

I only met Irene once. It was at Knott's, some years back. I thought I recognized her from her Blogger profile photo, so I went up to her (not being 100 percent sure that it was her) and introduced myself. It was a brief encounter, because we were both there with other people, but I remember her being so friendly, and smiling the entire time. I am glad that I had the chance to meet her. It was also nice to see that more recent footage of her at Knott's. Thanks, Major.

Rest in peace, Irene.

MIKE COZART said...

Incidentally the Rocket Rod on display was part of a Disney Gallery event and lithograph folder release of Tomorrowland Transportation Imagineering concepts . Several imagineers were in hand at the Gallery that day and later over in Tomorrowland… including Bob Gurr , John Hench , Jason Hulst, and George McGinnis. Display in Tomorrowland was being presented by the fictional “Tomorrowland Transit” company and included a Rocket Rod, PeopleMover , 3 different Autopia cars - including Walts personal one, a Skyway , a Astro Orbiter rocket , a Rocket Jet and a Space Mt. Rocket . The outdoor display included attraction posters and reproductions of concept art next to the vehicles themselves. For guests who bought the lithograph portfolio the folder included a Tomorrowland Transit ticket that was good for a matching pin. There was suppose to be a free CD as well featuring THE MONORAIL SONG “ nation on wheels” as heard at Space Mt. plaza at the time and the two versions of the Rocket Rod song “Magic Highways of Tomorrow” written by The Sherman Brothers in a vocal heard in the que and a unused instrumental recorded to play onboard the Rocket Rod. Due to a mix up the CD’s we’re not completed in time for the event : so guests were left with an a mysterious stub on their event ticket.

DrGoat said...

Very sad news. Rest in Peace Irene. Looks like you had a wonderful life. I can't say more than Chuck and Nanook and everyone, except thank you for all the joy you have brought to the world and to us here a GDB. Say hi to my Mom and Dad, I know they're close by considering where you will be spending some time.
These are some great photos, unique to say the least.
Thank you Major, a very lovely post for a very lovely person and her generosity of spirit, and her precious photos taken by her brother Bruce.

K. Martinez said...

Very sad news. Irene brought lots of joy to us here on GDB through her generosity of sharing and her comments. You will be greatly missed and never forgotten, Irene.

Melissa said...

I hope Irene knew how much joy she brought to our lives (and who knows how many others, who have enjoyed her, Bruce's, and James's pictures without comment) while she was here. That video is a real treasure. All of today's pictures are great, but I think the shot of Ry E. and Mickey is the best.

Steve DeGaetano said...

I am sorry to hear this. Thank you for posting that nice remembrance, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

Sue, thank you.

Nanook, that’s a nice quote from Helen Keller. I was reading about Ms. Keller not that long ago, she was a firebrand!

Mike Cozart, you’re welcome, I would not have known if Sue wasn’t keeping me up to date.

JB, yes, I had feared that this day would come, Irene would sometimes send me email updates on her treatment, and for a while things sounded good, but then I started to worry. She was always positive and upbeat though, at least in the emails. I’m glad that we will all have more Dream Team photos to enjoy going all the way into next year (believe it or not, I am working on February posts now). I will miss hearing from Irene.

Bu, definitely, and hopefully there is a fun Ghost Town experience for her too!

Chuck, Irene was always surprised that I was able to glean so many good photos from those binders… she’d said that at one point she had considered just throwing them away. I’m so glad she didn’t! Yes, there were scores of photos of the Castle, but as you have seen, there have been plenty of treasures as well.

TokyoMagic!, I didn’t know that you’d met Irene! Good for you for recognizing her based on that tiny Blogger profile photo. I’m sure she was super happy to meet you. There was a chance that I might get to see her in November, but… no such luck.

Mike Cozart, thank you for that information, I can’t remember if you told us that back when I originally shared the Dream Team’s photos. While I do like the idea of being able to see so many of those vehicles “up close and personal”, it also feels bittersweet, with the Skyway and Peoplemover cars especially. Did you get the lithograph portfolio? That’s weird about the CDs, what an unfortunate error.

DrGoat, I feel much as I did when my dad passed; I didn’t want him to go, but I also was glad that his suffering was over. It’s a weird combination of emotions. As soon as Sue told me of Irene’s passing, I made sure to spend a lot of time putting this tribute together, it was important to me.

K. Martinez, and the good news is that Irene will continue to bring us more joy as additional Dream Team photos appear!

Melissa, I hope she knew, too; I think she did. As I said, she seemed both surprised and pleased that so many of Bruce’s photos were “worthy” of being shared for us.

Steve DeGaetano, thanks, and you’re welcome!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear the sad news. Condolences to Irene's family & friends. Thanks to the other members of GDB for articulating our collective feelings at this time. Also, thanks Major for the wonderful tribute post for Irene.

-DW

Dean Finder said...

Sorry to hear the news about Irene. I hope her final days could be spent with loved ones and they get some comfort from an end of suffering.

Thanks, too, to the Major for a loving tribute to Irene and the Dream Team.


Is the strips of rockwork on the Indiana Jones show building an attempt to decide what to apply to the building in larger sections. This was prior to wid availability of photo-realistic rendering so I'd think they might want to see how it looks in different lighting in a real environment.

JG said...

Let me join my words to those of the others above, I give thanks for Irene and her generous sharing of her family's photos and memories.

Thank you Major, for enabling all of us to know her. May her memory be for a blessing for all who knew her.

"Lux aeterna luceat eis, Domine, cum sanctis tuis in aeternum, quia pius es. Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis, quia pius es."

"Let everlasting light shine upon them, Lord, with Thy saints for ever, for Thou art merciful. Grant them eternal rest, Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them, for Thou art merciful."

JG

Kathy! said...

Sorry to hear this, I had been keeping Irene in mind these past few days. It’s nice to know she had fun Knott's times recently. Her generosity in sharing family photos and memories are appreciated by all GDB readers; I like seeing the 90s because as you said, pictures of that era aren’t often seen. Thank you for the tribute, Major.

SunnieDaze21 said...

So sorry to hear the sad news about Irene. She made such a positive impact on so many, and she will be dearly missed.

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear about Irene. It's strange how close you can feel to people that you've never really met. Heck, I still miss CoxPilot. Maybe they can all have a Heavenly meetup?
Just for the record, I'm thankful for all you crazed Gorillas!
God's speed, Irene!

Andrew said...

So sad. :-( Irene’s comments always made me smile, more than anyone else. Thank you for a beautiful tribute to her, Major.

zach said...

Sad news indeed. Thank you, Irene, for your generosity and the wisdom to know the enjoyment these photos bring and will bring. RIP.

And thank you, Major, for honoring her with this memorial.

Sincerely,
Zach

Melissa said...

Also, I forgot to shake my fist at the Rocket Rods vehicle.

Sunday Night said...

I loved seeing Irene having such fun in that video. And thanks Major for posting all the pictures. Such a nice tribute.

So long Irene. We'll miss you.

Major Pepperidge said...

DW, thank you for your kind words.

Dean Finder, I know, when we lose people, I think that we try to find anything good to hang on to, but I truly do believe that being surrounded by people who love you is as much as many of us could wish for. Thanks for the info about the strips of rockwork, I don’t know if I’d ever heard about it before.

JG, I don’t worry about my “legacy” or whatever people think about me “after”, BUT… as in Irene’s case, knowing that one brought joy to others is pretty sweet.

Kathy!, I’d love to know the story of how Irene became “Miss Amethyst”! Was that her “Goldies Joint” name?!

SunnieDaze21, truer words were never spoken.

Stu29573, although I did meet Irene, our real friendship was online, and I will certainly miss getting her regular updates. I was thinking about Patrick Devlin, who we lost a few years back (also to cancer), and there have been other folks who might have passed and we just never heard about them. Since GDB would be nothing without the readers and commenters, I definitely feel a connection to so many people I have never met!

Andrew, aw, that’s nice, she reminded me of my Aunt, sort of girlish and smiling, and as I said before, always seemed to be able to look at things from a positive point of view.

zach, as soon as Sue told me of Irene’s passing, I knew I had to make a tribute to her. It took a while, but I am glad that I did it. Thanks for your nice words.

Melissa, ha ha, it’s not too late.

Sunday Night, don’t forget, we’ll have more from Irene in the coming months, so she will still be with us.

Anonymous said...

Coming in a day late. My sincere condolences to Irene's family. Her time with us was precious. KS