Saturday, September 28, 2019

Old Florida

I just happened to have a few scans from 1950's Florida, so it seemed like a good time to share some.

This first one is undated and unlabled; I'm not sure if the photographer was enamored with that beautiful car, or with the whole scene in general. This narrow street evokes a lot of ramshackle charm, kind of like parts of New Orleans. I thought that this could be St. Augustine, or possibly the Florida Keys, but the sign for "Clara's El Patio" turned out to be a valuable clue - hooray for St. Augustine!


Here's a vintage postcard from Clara's El Patio restaurant. I couldn't find out much about it online, unfortunately. In school I learned that St. Augustine was the oldest city in the U.S., but now it has some qualifications (as per Wikipedia): Founded in 1565 by Spanish explorers, it is the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement within the borders of the continental United States. It is the second oldest city in United States territory after San Juan, Puerto Rico (founded in 1521).


And here's a screen grab of Aviles Street from Google Maps - where did all that charm go??


This one was labled, "Trailer park near Miami", and that's about all I can tell you about it. But gosh, if I ever had to stay in a trailer park, this looks like the one to visit! 


I hope you have enjoyed your visit to Florida!

13 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

That "beautiful car" is a 1955 Chrysler, perhaps in 'Wisteria Blue'. And in the last photo, on the left we have a 1941 DeSoto; and on the right, a 1949 Ford. Can't quite make out what's parked behind it. Florida, at its finest.

Happy Saturday, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

Gee, where did Mr. Jaye and La Casa de Libros go? That's interesting that La Casa de Libros rented-out books. I don't think I have ever heard of that concept before.

Nice pics today, Major! And I always like to see the "Then and Now" comparisons, even if the "Now" doesn't look as nice!

Andrew said...

My mom used to live in Florida, and she tells me that I would really like St. Augustine, so one day I will go there.

And yeah, I wonder if that trailer park is either being reclaimed by nature today or is now the location of a high-rise or strip mall.

Dean Finder said...

I've rented books for various classes, though no from La Casa de Libros.

That last picture reminds me of the Florida I saw as a kid when I visited there in the early 1980s. Very little of that kind of Florida, with roadside citrus grovestands and random attractions exists now. It's all been replaced by strip malls and townhouse developments designed to look like some other part of the country.

"Lou and Sue" said...

Love the fish over the doorway at B.M. Hall Fishing Tackle store!

Sue

Nanook said...

@ Lou and Sue-
That’s how you can tell the store is authentic-!

Nanook said...

Major-
I keep forgetting to mention the fountain of youth that Ponce de Leon discovered soon after he arrived in what is now Florida in 1513, and more-specifically St. Augustine.

stu29573 said...

The 50s and 60s saw a lot of small businesses that would never survive now. The supercenter and the internet made them just not profitable. I think we lost some individiality and character along the way...

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, that 1955 Chrysler is a real beaut, do you happen to know the model? Funny that even in ’55 they were giving colors romantic names.

TokyoMagic!, I saw that thing about the rented book, what a strange thing. How could they make any profit?? It’s funny about the “Then and Now” pix, the “now” never looks any good.

Penna. Andrew, I wonder why your mom thinks you would like St. Augustine? Maybe because it’s historical. I wish I knew where that trailer park was, it would be interesting to look for the location as it is now.

Dean Finder, I’m sure it’s like most places, the old quaint places get torn down for mixed use “luxury” condos that cost $3000 a month and have a $500 monthly HOA fee. Grumble, gripe!

Lou and Sue, I didn’t even notice that!

Nanook, I wonder if that’s a real taxidermied fish, or a realistic model.

Nanook, was the “fountain of youth” a thing that old Ponce invented, or was it a legend that he was seeking?

stu29573, even now, many small business are closing in droves. I don’t know how they compete with Walmart or Home Depot. Near me is a tiny store that apparently makes custom brassieres (!), can they really get that much business??

Nanook said...

Major-

Do they call themselves "The Wizard of Bras"-? Perhaps that's their secret.

Warren Nielsen said...

Major,

It is probably a good thing that the location of the trailer park is unknown. I would wager that we would all be sorely disappointed and depressed by what we would see today. How many times do we see pics here on GDB and think and say 'There's the old Frontierland or Tomorrowland or Knott's that we grew up with' and wish we were back there and back then? At least weekly, maybe more.

I am guessing that one of the (pardon the pun) major reasons we frequent this site is too relive better times and better, more quaint locales.

Wow. I think I really slipped into deep nostalgia mode thinking about this stuff today. Happens weekly, maybe more.

W

JG said...

What Warren Neilsen Said.

Thanks Major, and Warren.

JG

Anonymous said...

Well said Warren! KS