Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Disneyland's "Summer '67" Guidebook, Part Six

Today is the last of Ken Martinez's posts featuring scans of the awesome "Summer '67" guidebook. But weep not! Rather, rejoice that for a few moments, we were able to escape the real world and revel in the amazing photos found in this classic guidebook.

Summer ’67 Disneyland U.S.A. – Part 6 Disneyland Future, Hotel and Finale

Today is the sixth and final post in a six part series featuring the “Summer ’67 Disneyland, U.S.A” booklet.  Featured today are the free shows and exhibits at Disneyland as well as the live entertainment.  As usual, I’ll let the booklet pages tell the story.

Space Mountain certainly didn’t turn out the way it appears in this artist rendering of Tomorrowland.  From dream to reality, something always changes and/or is modified in the various stages from concept to actual build.



Travel and lodging Disney style.  Also featured here is an ad for Walt’s last live-action motion picture, “The Happiest Millionaire”.  In the older Disneyland guide booklets it was common for Disney to advertise current theatrical releases and re-releases in the back portion of the guide.  This Summer ’67 booklet is no exception.  



Well, we’ve come to the end of this series.  Hope you have enjoyed what really as a wonderful era at Disneyland.


There’s more Disney paper and ephemera to come.

Thank you Ken! As he just said, he has more stuff to share with you, coming up.


8 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I used to get so excited when Disney would give us a glimpse of the future for Disneyland. Too bad I don't experience that same excitement when they announce a future project these days.

The Disneyland Hotel...the "Hub of Happiness." I like that!

I didn't see "The Happiest Millionaire" until it was released on video in the 1980's. It's an odd little (long!) movie, but I like it....especially the Sherman Brothers' soundtrack (Bye Yum Pum Pum!) Forget about a "Mary Poppins" ride, I want to see a "Happiest Millionaire" dark ride with audio-animatronic alligators! Don't you agree, Nanook? ;-)

Thanks for sharing this amazing guide book with us, Ken!

Steve DeGaetano said...

33 sponsors in 1967? Hmmm......

Chuck said...

"Anaheim, Azusa, and Cuc.....amonga!" I always enjoy a good Jack Benny reference...and they're harder and harder to come by with each passing year.

TM!, I've still never seen The Happiest Millionaire. From what I've heard, I can chalk that up to fortuosity.

Steve DeGaetano, those sponsors were a rather exclusive club.

As always, thanks for sharing, Ken, and a special thanks to our sponsors, Lucky Strike. Remember, folks - Lucky Strike means fine tobacco. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for another hilarious installment of The Major Pepperidge Program!

Nanook said...

Ken-

The Disney(land) Gallery released a print of the "Tomorrowland Space Adventure" image, seen here - 'suitable for framing' - which I did.

@ TM!-

I'm thinking "The Hub of Happiness" also encompasses The Park, too.

So.... you want to put up your dukes about The Happiest Millionaire-?? (Although I wouldn't be opposed to a dark ride, as you describe it here-!) It sounds a lot more interesting than the film - and clearly a whole heck-of-a-lot shorter-!

Thanks, Ken.

K. Martinez said...

TM!, I saw "The Happiest Millionaire" when it was released in theaters 1967. I like it most because I think Fred MacMurray is the greatest. ;-)

Also, glad you enjoyed the amazing guide. I bet you didn't see "The Happiest Millionaire " ad coming.

Steve DeGaetano, Where have I seen that image before? Installment #5?

Chuck, Speaking of Lucky Strikes and Walt Disney, apparently the studio has airbrushed Walt's cigarettes out in all his photos.

https://collinsrace1.wordpress.com/2014/10/10/walt-disney-smoking/

Nanook, Great choice! That is one of my favorite art images of Space Mountain.

Melissa said...

After reading that list of sponsors, now I've got the “Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe” song from The Harvey Girls stuck in my head. Not that that's a bad thing.

Disney had always been great at selling optimism in the future, but it must have been a particular challenge so soon after Walt's death. Thanks again, Mr. Ken!

https://youtu.be/S87evkiu4iA

TokyoMagic! said...

Ken, I know how big of a fan of dear old Fred's you are!

Chuck, the fact that you haven't seen "The Happiest Millionaire" sounds like the OPPOSITE of fortuosity.

Nanook, the dark ride that I'm imagining in my head wouldn't necessarily be a short one. There would be at least two whole rooms dedicated just to the song, "Valentine Candy." To quote Julie Brown, it would be "definitely an "E" Ticket!!!" (You know, like the Cinderella ride?) And you made me remember that I also bought that Tomorrowland/Space Mt. concept artwork from The Disney Gallery when it first opened. Unfortunately, I never framed it. It's still rolled up in the original cardboard tube that it came in. I wonder if I could sell it on ebay for thousands of dollars?

Anonymous said...

Ken and Major, thanks for posting this wonderful handbook. I've really enjoyed all the installments.

JG