Monday, June 26, 2017

Town Square, May 1999

Here are a few more nice shots from Disneyland circa 1999 - 18 years ago, yo! I'll start with this photo of a pair of Omnibuses (Omnibi?) - gosh, do they ever run more than one of those anymore? They certainly appear to be doing a brisk business. I miss the mini posters that used to be affixed to the sides of the vehicles.


I did not recall seeing that elaborate signage on the stairs of the Omnibuses, but Mr. X explained that National Rent a Car was the official car rental for Disneyland for a number of years (at least from 1998 through 2004, if not longer), and they sponsored the Fire Engine, Horse Drawn Streetcars, and Horseless Carriages. Did all of those vehicles sport some sort of advertising?

Also... the stroller takeover has begun.


Here's a good photo of a Horseless Carriage passing a Horse Drawn Streetcar. Everything is so clean and tidy, even the motorcar - do all of these still date back to 1955?


And if you're not in a hurry, howsabout taking a few moments to enjoy the Disneyland Band? They don't dance around, but they sure sound great.


6 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Anytime the act of driving is referred to as 'motoring', I'm smitten. I feel as though I've just gassed-up at an ESSO gas station: Happy Motoring. Nice shots today.

Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

It seems strange to see two Omnibuses lined up in a row like that. I almost get the feeling that if we were able to pan to the right, there might be a half dozen more.

The stroller takeover may have begun already, but at least they weren't as big as a house yet!

I'll take the non-dancing version of the Disneyland Band over the dancing version any day! And who really needs to be able to dance when you can put your feet into the same position as the band member on the far right!

Chuck said...

I want to ride an omnibus. Heck - I'd settle for a unibus, as long as it ran down Main Street.

Have the streetcars maintained the same color scheme through the years? My family has snapshots of an identical-looking yellow streetcar filled with former Mouseketeers in America on Parade.

DrGoat said...

The word 'motoring' always makes me think of Mr. Toad and MotorMania, which isn't a crime by the way.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, “Put a tiger in your tank!”. I loved those Esso ads when I was a kid. Ditto the Chevron spots with the dinosaurs.

TokyoMagic!, I’d like to believe that there are MILLIONS of Omnibuses, continuing on forever! I also prefer the more traditional Disneyland Band - nothing against the hard-working and talented performers in the new incarnation - it’s more about what fits the theme of Main Street better.

Chuck, I’m afraid all we have is a monobus. I believe that the Streetcars have maintained the same color scheme since 1955.

DrGoat, what’s a crime is these pants I’m wearing! Plaid bell-bottoms, oh yeah.

Anonymous said...

Are they called Omnibusses because they go everywhere?

The band can't sit like that anymore, there would be no room for all the strollers.

Fun pics today, Major. Feels like just yesterday.

JG