Sunday, March 26, 2017

Jungle Cruise, July 1963

It's time to use up more "not ready for prime time" scans. Like this one, featuring the Sacred Elephant Bathing Pool. Man, those elephants sure know how to have fun! Soaking in the cool river water, splashing and spraying and generally goofing off. Reminds me of the bears in Nature's Wonderland. I guess elephants have no need to worry about piranhas - or the wily candiru. Yikes.


Sometimes, a person really wants to buy a good souvenir. Not some plush animal or mass produced t-shirt, but something special that will get all the folks back home talking. This is where Trader Sam steps in! He has the largest selection of authentic shrunken heads this side of the Zambezi, all guaranteed fresh. Nobody can eat just one, or so I hear.


6 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, I never thought about the similarities between the elephants in the sacred bathing pool and the bears of Nature's Wonderland, but you are right! All the bathing pool needs is a baby elephant stuck up in a tree!

I got your Lays Brand Potato Chips reference! Do they still use that slogan by any chance?

K. Martinez said...

I love the rubber tubing/hose going into the water behind the elephant furthest to the left. Adds realism. Or maybe it's some new species of snake. The thing that's really missing from this scene is shower caps, snorkels and bubble bath.

It's too bad they don't have a celebrity shrunken heads shop. Or even better, an Imagineer's shrunken heads shop. It could become bigger than Disney pin trading. "I'll trade you my Tony Baxter and Kim Irvine shrunken heads for your Joe Rohde shrunken head but only if the earring baubles are still attached. Such a deal!"

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, those gags were all designed by Marc Davis, after all. If the concept worked with bears, it will work with elephants. It's been proven! I have no idea if Lays potato chips uses that slogan any more - can't remember the last time I saw an ad or commercial for them.

K. Martinez, I thought those were just sticks or vines, but I guess they *are* hoses of some kind. If so, it wouldn't have been that hard to hide them with a few leafy plants - I wonder why they didn't. I kind of love the idea of pins featuring Imagineers, though I probably couldn't actually name more than a dozen of them. Joe Rohde - that dumb earring affectation is so annoying. Why not carry a walking stick and wear a cape, as well?

MonkeyMensch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
walterworld said...

I just researched the 'wily' candiru...

Wow. I'll never go swimming in the Amazon again! Thanks for the heads-up Major

Anonymous said...

"It's ok to watch the elephants bathing, they all have their trunks on..."

Great stuff as usual, Major.

Thank you.

JG