Friday, November 27, 2015

Two Beauties from March, 1958

Here are the last two scans from a bunch of slides taken on March 13, 1958. All good things must come to an end, darn it. I'm not crying, I just got something in my eye. 

Say, what's that speedy little train doing here? Why it's the Fantasyland Viewliner (in Tomorrowland)! The icy-blue version seems to have been used (or at least photographed) less often than its salmon-colored sibling. Just visible through that spindly tree is the bridge that crossed Tomorrowland Lake... I'll bet that was fun to cross. I am puzzled by that curb in front of us, seemingly placed there just to trip over.


I love this nice clear shot of one of Frontierland's rarely-photographed critters, a wild stallion that looks like he is surveying his domain, making sure that all is right and good. I've always jokingly called him "Stormy", and that name seems especially apt as he stands beneath that moody sky.


8 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Yes, the Fantasyland Viewliner - definitely a rare site. Why we just might re-name today as "Blue Friday" in its honor. (It's certainly cheerier than all the greed Black Friday represents).

And as for "Stormy", he certainly does appear to be 'camera shy'. Perhaps he needs to start searching for a new agent-!

Thanks, Major.

K. Martinez said...

I appreciate a rare Fantasyland Viewliner shot, but for some reason I'm really loving the shot of "Stormy" in the wilderness with that ominous sky. It's a beauty. Thanks, Major.

Chuck said...

Where was Stormy's perch? I see Frontierland backside berm in the background, so I can narrow it down to a stretch of river, but not sure exactly where.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

It appears the secondary reason for that curb was to rub excess rubber from the sidewalls of service vehicles tires. Great shots of bluey the train and stormy the fiberglass stallion. Thanks for posting.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I know that I only have a few more unposted photos of the Viewliner left in my collection… it's going to be a bummer when they're all gone! Stormy only appears when he is needed, and then vanishes in the wind.

K. Martinez, I love that one too, it's a very dramatic view. I can't help "hearing" some classic western theme in the background ("The Big Country", for instance).

Chuck, I have not been able to figure out exactly where Stormy stood. Old maps don't mention him, and the photos just don't show enough of the background for me to make a good guess.

Alonzo, your theory about the curb is as good as any!

Unknown said...

First let me say thanks for not 'sploding after dinner last night.

Great shots today, Major. That shot of Stormy is a keeper. It's always interesting to see some of the grading in the park before it got covered with forest.

The curb is the separator (I think) between "sidewalk" and "street" for the Omnibus' route to Fantasyland. You can see said curb in shots of the area between the Plaza and Fantasyland. It hearkens to a day when guests had the good sense to walk on the sidewalks on Main Street and that notion was carried over down the road.

Nancy said...

Love the modern look of Mr. Viewliner. The blue is definitely my favorite. ;-)

Unknown said...

attendance on this day was 3,400, 10 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.

I think there are more people in Starbucks in an hour on a March Day in the park these days.

Sorry if me adding the attendance days annoys you and I will stop if I don't see them post. I am just having fun linking exact dates to these wonderful pictures.