Friday, February 20, 2015

The Plaza and The Castle, July 1958

Many of the slides from this lot (dating from July 1958) are pretty nice, but that doesn't mean that they are all winners!

Like this first one. It's not a bad photo, really... but it's not very good either. I guess if you are a fan of umbrellas, than you are having a good day. I'm trying to get inside the mind of the photographer to figure out what it was about this scene that inspired him/her to press the shutter button.


On the other hand, in spite of the kajillion photos of Sleeping Beauty Castle in my collection, I can still occasionally be impressed; and this one is a beauty, with the castle reflected in the water. 

POSTCARD WORTHY!


6 comments:

Chuck said...

Perhaps the photographer was duly impressed with the results of the white wings' outstanding efforts. I know I am.

And that Castle shot is a stunner. Thanks for sharing it with us to brighten up this gray and snowy morn.

Pegleg Pete said...

That castle image certainly is better than any I took over the weekend at the park – the castle was covered in scaffolding (as was it's a small world) as part of the preparations for the upcoming anniversary!

Major Pepperidge said...

Chuck, it's true… that street is impressively clean! I wish you could send some of that weather our way.

PeglegPete, I've seen photos of the castle with the scaffolding and the vintage artwork; hopefully the decor for Disneyland's 60th won't be an eyesore. There is just a little bit of ivy visible in today's picture!

Anonymous said...

Over the top, Major. Just beautiful.

Thanks.

JG

TokyoMagic! said...

Perhaps the photographer could tell that the Tomorrowland entrance was something worth taking a pic of, but just didn't wait until he/she was closer to it. As a kid, I took a few pics like that in the park, because I just wasn't patient enough to wait until I was closer to my subject.

Major Pepperidge said...

JG, thanks!

TokyoMagic!, your theory is as good as any, although this guy sure took a lot of nice photos. I always wonder if people who took better-quality photos just had a "good eye", or if they were trained?