Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Murky Views, November 1958

Boy oh boy, I don't know why some of the slides in this bunch from November 1958 are so dark and murky. My thesaurus says that some other synonyms for "murky" would be "gloomy", "gray", "leaden", "dull", "bleak", "sunless", "dreary", and "dismal". Yep, that about covers it! 

Maybe the atmosphere was especially full of Dark Matter that day. See, I knew there was an explanation. Normally the Mark Twain is such a cheerful and dazzling sight, but in this case it looks like it is a Steamboat of Doom.


This one almost looks like a construction zone, somehow. At least the golden spires on Cinderella's Castle manage to give off a gleam or two.


The medieval town where Geppetto lives is normally a place full of charm and whimsy, but in this photo one can almost imagine Nosferatu lurking in the shadows.


I wish I could say that this is the last of the murky pictures, but there are more to come!

12 comments:

Melissa said...

PINOSFERATUCCHIO!

Melissa said...

PINOSFERATUCCHIO!

Chuck said...

Boy, that last photo of the town is definitely somber. I can imagine Nosferatu in the shadows...or maybe Burgermeister Meisterburger.

Nanook said...

Major-

I believe "Steamboat of Doom" was the first runner-up to the eventual 'winner': "Mark Twain". Somehow Mr. Clemens namesake won out. Such is the tragedy.

Thanks, Major for all the dreariness.

K. Martinez said...

The shadow of Chernabog casts a pall over Storybook Land. Perhaps they could turn Storybook Land into "Night on Bald Mountain" during the night for Disneyland's HalloweenTime.

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, that's easy for you to say! Now I need to see the movie mashup… a wooden boy who hungers for blood.

Chuck, a Burgurmeister Meisterburger with bacon is my favorite.

Nanook, if I have brought a little gloom into just one person's life, then I will be satisfied. Wouldn't it be cool to see the "Twain" painted all black?

K. Martinez, yes! It reminds me of the scene in Fantasia in which Chernabog's shadow falls across the little village and all of the houses so kind of wonky.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Here's one for Dr. George Fischbeck.

"Overcast"

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know that you had me laughing out loud at work with your comments today. Hilarious! And I totally agree. I love your blog, thanks so much for sharing!

Gnometrek said...

Though gloomy, Geppetto's village looks especially "lifelike".

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cinderella's village is under construction, but shut down due to bad weather and soil saturation...

JG

Chuck said...

Ken - they actually do have a Night On Bald Mountain scene - complete with Chernabog figure - in the Disneyland Paris version of the ride, Le Pays des Contes de Fées.

K. Martinez said...

Chuck - You're right. I'd forgotten about that. It probably subconsciously made me think of the idea. Thanks.