Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Boy Scouts, New York World's Fair

Be prepared to visit the '64 World's Fair pavilion for the Boy Scouts of America! Also known as The Wonderful World of Scouting. We all know that Boy Scouts are trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent, and low in saturated fat. They'll Do A Good Turn Daily - any more than that makes you dizzy.


Scouts from around the country can be seen on duty; there's a scout sitting on the bench (what's with the red jacket?) who looks decided OFF duty. "Lemme alone, can't a guy smoke in peace?". All of the other scouts would actually go around the fair assisting people in need, for reals.


Yeah, yeah, I already told them about the trustworthy stuff. Aren't scouts "radiant", "humble" and "terrific" too? I can't find too much specific information about the exhibits, although I think it's safe to say that there were probably photos of scouts doing wondrous things throughout the years, not to mention uniforms, merit badges, and probably a few notable scouts. Did you know that Hank Aaron was a Boy Scout? Or Neil Armstrong? The list goes on and on, believe me.


The coolest item in the Scouting pavilion was this mini-"Unisphere". If I had one it would look splendid out by the topiary maze or the koi pond! I hope that this still exists somewhere (it's too chunky to be the one that can be seen at the "Leisure World" retirement village in Arizona).


11 comments:

Matt said...

Yes scouts are humble, radiant, and terrific, but only if they are named Wilbur.

Unknown said...

I *think* some of this may be on display at the big Scouting museum in TX but I'm not sure. Last year for the 100 years celebration a lot of stuff was touring the country in a big truck (Adventure Base) - that was pretty neat, too.

Katella Gate said...

Kudos to Major for the riff on "humble, radiant..." and to Matt for spotting it.

Honestly Major, I don't know what you do for a living, but if it's not writing comedy you are in the wrong line of work.

I wonder if they had a booth that showed the Flintstone's Boy Scout Jamboree episode in a perpetual loop.

JG said...

This is fun.

The red coats are a sort of "letterman's jacket" where you sew the patches of your various exploits (every event or camp has a distinctive patch) for display.

These are still used today. Usually small patches on the front or sleeves, big ones on the back.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Matt gets a cigar for spotting the Charlotte's Web reference! Who doesn't love that book? Nobody, that's who.

theelfqueen, that would be kind of cool to be able to see some almost 50 year-old Scouting exhibits! I wonder if they really are relics from the Fair?

Katella, thanks for the compliments! Oh my gosh, I do remember that Flintstone's episode - totally forgotten until now. Cave Scouts! And camp Shangri-La-Dee-Da!!

JG, thanks for the info about the red coats, I thought that maybe they were Canadian Scouts or somethin'.

Anonymous said...

more worlds fair pictures, please!

Nancy said...

i agree....more world's fair!

never knew there was such an exhibit there, the sign is gorgeous :-)

TokyoMagic! said...

Yes, let's hope that mini Unisphere does still exist somwhere! I hope they didn't just scrap it. I also wonder what happened to the large metal globe that was in front of the Global Van Lines headquarters next to Disneyland. It was visible from the 5 fwy, just before the Harbor Blvd offramp (where the Team Disney building stands today).

Major Pepperidge said...

Anon, I have lots more World's Fair pictures to come.

Nancy, I know you like signs!

TM, I think I've seen photos of the globe you mentioned, but even so my recollection of it is fuzzy. I personally would love to have a giant metal globe. Really!!

Bill Cotter said...

Those are probably the best shots of the BSA exhibit I've seen so far. Scouts were invited to volunteer to work at the fair, either at the BSA exhibit or on several other details. You could buy the red jacket at the end of your week. I think I still have mine somewhere!

I have some info on the exhibit at http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/bsa.htm

walterworld said...

I also remember that Global Van Lines globe right before the Harbor Blvd turnoff. It was so exciting to that and the Matterhorn as it meant that our family vacation was just about to start!!