Friday, October 27, 2006

Souvenir View: Wenmac Flight Circle



Want to watch grown men play with gasoline-powered model planes, remote-controlled cars, and itty bitty remote-controlled boats? Then the Wenmac Flight Circle is for you! Every hour (until 7 p.m., according to the sign), things get a bit noisy in this patch of Tomorrowland. Folks seemed to enjoy it, although it really does feel like a "space filler". I guess its location makes sense since it is near Hobbyland. There's the Art Corner in the background, and to the right you can see the Yacht Bar...or at this point, it might have still been called the Yacht Club.

Just for fun I am including this image of the Rocket to the Moon, both of these slides are from the Treasure Tone souvenir series of images.

4 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Very nice series of souvenir slides. I like the angles on the views, definitely different than normal tourist shot images.

DisneyDutchman said...

Great Pics!! Does anyone know the history of the name "Wenmac Flight Circle"? The guide books simply refer to it as the Flight Circle. Most references refer to it as the "Thimble Drome Flight Circle" whats up with all these names? Also -I am trying to locate any images that show the Blue Signage of the Yacht Club-Bar when it was the Yacht Club. The Guide books call it the Yacht Club until 1957-58 but no pics. Would a close up of the Yacht Club-Bar in your image reveal any additional detail? Thanks again Major - its a real kick to see so many cool vintage pics!! DD

Major Pepperidge said...

Hey disneydutchman...I did do a closeup of the Yacht Club/Bar, but you couldn't really see anything of interest so I didn't post it. I don't believe I have any photos clearly showing the Yacht Club.

Thanks as always for your encouraging comments (you too, matterhorn!).

DisneyDutchman said...

Thanks Major! I tried it in Photoshop and I don't think there is a sign yet. DD