Saturday, October 03, 2026

Unknown Amusements

I have two slide scans of "unknown amusements" today... maybe you can help figure out the locations!

First up is this l950s look down the very wide main street of a western town that appears to be some sort of movie ranch. I was aware of "Mortensen's Ranch" in New Mexico, and "Apacheland" in Arizona; but neither of those seem to match, based on photos I've seen online. I don't believe this town is in California, but I'm really not sure. Do you have any ideas?


Next is this 1960s photo of some sort of amusement zone featuring (among other things) two rockets; an Atlas missile, and what appears to be a V2 rocket. In the background is a nice Skyway ride, and then to the left are very temporary-looking pavilions - cloth-covered structures similar to what I've seen at some short-lived fairs. There's not much to go on as far as hard clues, but I'm hoping that somebody out there might recognized where this is!


13 comments:

  1. For a second, I thought this might be Corriganville Movie Ranch in Simi Valley. But, 1) I'm sure you SoCal guys would know if this was Corriganville or not. And, 2) After looking at a couple images, Corriganville didn't have this wide (or long) of a Main Street. And I think it curved a bit to make it look like more than it was. So... I got nuthin'.

    The landscape seems to be rather flat in the 2nd pic. Probably not Florida... maybe Texas? I do like seeing these rockets and missiles. Exciting! The Atlas missile needs a little color to liven it up. Hot pink and electric blue! With shiny gold trim!

    Well, I wasn't any help, as usual. But I do like the photos! Thanks, Major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major-
    That 'very wide' main street is a mystery, but naturally we're all rooting for it to be downtown Oxnard-!

    The 2nd image, believe it or not, appears to be from the International Transportation Exhibition (IVA) in Munich, Germany - June 29 thru October 3, 1965. It should also be noted that... "The spectacular show attracted guests from all over the world, including US astronaut John Glenn, cosmonaut Jury Gagarin and: Walt Disney. The American animation producer traveled to Munich due to the “Monorail” train gliding on elevated tracks. A similar train had been an attraction at “Disneyland” in California since 1959, piquing Disney's interest in Munich's train and leading to the acquisition of rights for his amusement parks".

    Once again - the Disney connection-!
    Thanks, Major.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nanook, I was thinking that the second image had a World's Fair/Exposition flavor to it! Thanks for the research!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m stumped for any ideas on either one.

    There was a Western film town in Arizona somewhere, a show called Cimarron Strip or something like that. Maybe?

    I’m a fan of rockets, so I would have enjoyed the second location. Thanks Nanook.

    Too bad Chuck is on hiatus, he would have a 50 page treatise before lunch.

    Thanks Major!

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  5. JB, Corriganville is a reasonable guess! I am pretty familiar with the way that place looked, and even live not too far from where it used to be, the rocky hillsides are very distinctive. I like your idea of hot pink and electric blue on our space rockets, FINALLY a concept that makes sense!

    Nanook, oh man. Whoa. Impressive! But - - HOW?? I thought I must have missed a tiny sign that says “International Transportation Exhibition” or whatever, But no! What can I say, you have topped yourself, and that is saying something. Thanks!

    Melissa, I thought the same thing about it being a World’s Fair or Expo, but it didn’t look like any I knew of, really. Nanook really came through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JG, somehow you have done it again, and I even commented earlier than usual! "Cimarron Strip", western snacks for your dog. Even if those rockets are hollow, they must have been quite something to transport and erect (sorry about that word, ha ha). Wait, is Chuck "on hiatus"? Was it something I said?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Major-
    "What can I say, you have topped yourself..."

    Thanks, but dumb luck probably has more to do with it than sheer skill. The image looked 'worlds fair-ish', so I started there thinking it 'might' be the Brussels World's Fair; but none of the images of that fair or info from the internet would bear that out. The buildings in the background of the image seemed to have a European vibe (Bavarian-esque-?), so I kept thinking along those lines. Eventually I stumbled on an article from the NYTimes titled: Transport Show Opens in Munich, and then another article titled: 60 years of Messe München (Trade Fair) - and THIS IMAGE. That image, along with the rather unique towers and skyway 'buckets' plus that adjacent 'black-white' rocket seemed to seal the deal. And the clothing certainly looks to be from the 1960's and not the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nanook wins the internet today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nanook, I thought that the second photo might be Brussels as well - it was more the Skyway buckets than anything else, though as you said, the buildings looked European. But that photo was also from later than 1958, which threw me. You managed to put all the clues together AND find relevant articles and photos. GREAT JOB!

    JB, I never win anything…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Based on the mountains and the width of the road, I believe that first photo is Mane Street in Pioneertown, CA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with SunnieDaze21 - that is definitely Pioneer Town , CA the wide street is unmistakable . Today there are groves of trees along the street .

    ReplyDelete
  12. SunnieDaze21, NICE!! It was surprisingly not easy to find good shots of Pioneertown's "Main Street" (not even in vintage postcards), but I am confident that you are 100% correct. THANK YOU!!

    Mike Cozart, yes, the relatively recent photos of Mane Street show trees, which doesn't look very "old west", at least as we are used to seeing it in countless movies and TV shows. But it looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I continue to be amazed and astonished at the skills of the Junior Gorillas Photo Detective Agency.

    "Cimarron Strip", western snacks for your dog.

    Hehe, this made me think of the Basil Rathbones Dog Treats sketch from Mystery Science Theater 3000.



    ReplyDelete