Thursday, September 10, 2026

Two 1950s Views

I don't have a ton of pictures of the old Midget Autopia (is it the ride with the most unfortunate name?), so I'm always happy to see it. A little girl has just gone through the yellow garage's crash doors, which I believe was the grand finale of this strictly-for-kids Autopia - in mere moments, she would be back at the load-unload area.


The same girl holds her classic popcorn box with a kung-fu grip. Just try to pry it from her, I dare you! Her family got prime seats at the prow of the Mark Twain which was about to return to the dock in Frontierland. I'm looking at the pattern on that woman's dress. What the heck is it? Luggage? Furniture? She holds a 1957 guidebook (it has to be 1957, because that's the year that the Midget Autopia opened, and the design changed in 1958).


35 comments:

  1. Major-
    The best part of the Midget Autopia was watching the expressions of the kids: Often so serious and determined to maneuver their auto with great precision - as if they had a choice-!

    Hopefully Melissa can clear up the unique design on that woman's dress. Many of the 'objects' appear to be purses of some sort.

    Thanks, Major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "......that's the year that the Midget Autopia opened, and the design changed in 1958."

    Major, I didn't realize they changed the design on the "Vertically Challenged" Autopia. Do we know why they did that?

    "The same girl holds her classic popcorn box with a kung-fu grip."

    Talk about holding something with a tight grip, that lady seems to be holding tightly to her DL guide. She didn't fold it, but she might be putting a crinkle or two in it! Lighten up that grip, lady!

    Thanks, Major!

    - Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ TM!-
    "I didn't realize they changed the design on the "Vertically Challenged" Autopia. Do we know why they did that?"

    I'm uncertain if you're joking or no - but I believe The Major is referring to the guidebook, as that was indeed totally re-formatted for 1958.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good picture of the "M"-word Autopia. A nice close-up view of one of the cars, which look like the cars in old Disney cartoons. Great shot of the little girl, whose red dress, red hair bow, and blond hair go nicely with the green car with its tan upholstery and red wheels.

    The little girl looks rather pensive here, clutching her popcorn box. Maybe she's tiring out from a long day at the Park. That could be luggage on that lady's dress, but (as Nanook noted) I think it's various designs of purses ('handbags' for the elitists amongst us.) :-p

    Thanks for the "Goldilocks goes to Disneyland" photos, Major.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm uncertain if you're joking or no - but I believe The Major is referring to the guidebook"

    Nanook, I wasn't joking! I just misread it, I guess. I know that they redesigned the guidebook, because I have one for each of those years! Thanks for clearing that up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I beg to differ, gentlemen. They did change the design of the, er, Autopia for Small Children and Others Who Fit Reasonably in its Tiny Cars. They also made it a free attraction accessible to those of us of larger stature. Indeed, it probably experiences more guest traffic today than before the redesign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good photos today, just like every day!

    yes, I think that dress pattern in #2 is luggage... I think I see a hatbox! also, would likely be veeeery expensive in a retro clothing store today.

    ah, the Midget Autopia. one year I became famous in my family for riding that over and over and over after using all of Mom and Dad's B-tickets (was it "B"?) I still remember getting yet another ticket gifted to me by my uncle. family lore says the ride operator even let me on for free one time at the end! an awesome ride!! (of course, it wound up in a Marceline, Missouri, city park, but that's another story)

    thanks for the photos, Major.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stu295736:15 AM

    Anything that crashes through a barn is ok in my book!
    ...which is probably why they won't let me around farms any more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK....that little girl: but she seems like the poster child for "I know a little girl, with a curl, right in the middle of her forehead...." I honestly would not attempt to mess with that one. Mom is psychedelic groovy in that dress: luggage and purses...interesting...very...as her purse is a straw basket (?). Perhaps she thought it would be too redundant? I do think straw baskets are quite charming, and did you know you can fit an entire roast chicken in one? ....heard that somewhere....that picnic area outside the gate...is that still there?! With it's 15 foot high hedges....so it was completely invisible...no wonder people felt they had to smuggle in chicken....I think we can say "Midget Autopia" when we are referring to the proper noun of an extinct attraction. Perhaps Autopia Jr. would still be relevant even then. And let's not forget "Gidget"...which according to "Moondoggie" was "girl" + "midget" = Gidget. Let's talk about popcorn boxes with lids....is there a reason you need a lid? Don't you just eat it all? Perhaps to seal it up "for later"...or "no food or drink allowed, please close the top on your popcorn boxes and store out of hands way" (???) Just asking. I enjoy seeing the palm trees on the backside of River Belle Terrace....or Aunt Jemima's....or ...Oak Tree?.....or is that the Plantation House? I'm wondering if you saw any Palm Trees floating down the Mississippi on a stern wheeler? Something to explore. At one time one of those cruises was on a bucket list...it dropped off. I think I replaced that one with going to see the seed vault in Svalbard...after a day of Cloudberry picking in Finnmark....kind of a trek, but no one said life is easy. Thanks Major and the "40 Pounds of Trouble"

    ReplyDelete
  10. The little car in British Racing Green is a very sporty look. No wonder Goldilocks is taking such care in piloting. I think it’s a virtual certainty that I drove one of these cars, but I have no memory of it.

    And the prize for finishing without a crash is popcorn on a steamboat. What a world! Mom had a dress of similar cut, but I can’t recall the pattern. I’m hoping that wicker creel is full of river fish.

    Unusual scenes, Major. Lots of fun!

    KS, see my comments added to your birthday post.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nanook, it’s true, for kids of a certain age, driving is serious business. They don’t know anything about a guide rail! I wonder if that woman made that dress? That fabric pattern is wild.

    TokyoMagic!, oh, sorry, I reread what I wrote, and it was clumsily stated. I meant that the *guidebooks* changed design, not the ride! I think it’s so funny that people would buy those souvenir guides and many almost immediately rolled or folded them. No respect at all!

    Nanook, yes, I should have been more precise with the way I wrote that.

    JB, many years ago (maybe in the first months of this blog) I got an anonymous comment chewing me out for using the word “midget”. I didn’t give the ride that name! I’m merely reporting history. Maybe I should have done “m-word” like you did. The girl does look a bit pensive, maybe she’s tired, or just tired of posing for pictures?

    TokyoMagic!, sorry about that!

    Chuck, they changed the design so much that it got a whole new layout and name!

    LTL, it does look like luggage, or handbags. Odd! “I just LOVE luggage!”. Wow, you really liked the M-word Autopia. I don’t remember ever riding it, I would have been pretty young when it was replaced by the Fantasyland Autopia. It’s cute that it was your favorite! The one time I took my young nephew to Disneyland, he declared that his favorite ride was the “little cars”.

    Stu29573, if somebody sees your car in Amish country, all the farmers go and ring the big bell to warn others!

    Bu, I know that “this is how photos work”, but it’s strange to think that the cute little blond girl is now in her 70s. We’ve commented on those woven purses before, they were definitely popular, and often-seen at the park for a while. When I think of a roast chicken in a purse, I think of it leaving juices and making a mess, and if the purse is woven, the goo could come out and get all over clothing. I have issues. There is (was) a picnic area with 15 foot-tall hedges? Gidget - my only exposure to her is the old TV series that was in reruns. It was OK, nothing great, though Sally Field was cute. Lids on popcorn boxes seem unnecessary, but then again, I never buy popcorn. Maybe some people are light eaters and need to save some for later. I think maybe my parents once did one of those MIssissippi River cruises (with some of my dad’s old Fraternity buddies and their wives), it must not have been that great because I don’t recall hearing ANY fun stories about the trip afterwards. Cloudberries, never heard of ‘em!

    JG, there’s just something about racing green. Remember those racing green sneakers you bought? I do! Perhaps you still have them. Did your mom sew her own dresses? I’m sure that many of the more memorable fabrics would have only been used if somebody used their McCall’s pattern! I’ve always wondered if they put minnows (or something) in the River to keep mosquito larvae down, but if so I’ve never heard of such a thing being done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Major, I do still have those green shoes. I wear them to the gym mostly. I have a Cal Poly SLO golf shirt that is the same color, the combo looks very sharp, I think.

      JG

      Delete
  12. The car in the first picture reminds me of my Dad's old 1968 British Racing Green MGB roadster. It wasn't much bigger, either!

    Little Susie is all, "Put that camera away and let me eat my popcorn in peace!" I suspect both her and Mom's dresses are homemade, too. I wonder if the buttons on Susie's collar were an attempt to make it lie flat? And Dad is clearly Paul Bunyan. So tall his head won't even fit in the picture.

    I think the closable popcorn boxes are a great idea in an amusement park. They keep the uneaten portion from spilling all over the ground, like a movie theater floor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. JG beat me to it in noting the British Racing Green color. Back in the slot car days I painted all my cars that color.

    When I was M-size the Midget Autopia was my favorite ride. Even though every time I would have the fleeting thought thought "What if the garage doors don't open?". Ha!

    That dress really is different. Some of the images look like backpacks. Were backpacks around in the 50s?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:18 AM

    JG...I saw your comment. We all HAVE had a good life indeed!

    What's up with the British Racing Green? It was the rage back then. But the Union Jack is Red, White and Blue. So go figure. And Melissa reminded me of the size of the MGB, which isn't much different than my Tiger in the garage. Luggage racks on to of the boot helped some.

    I recall with joy my time on the Midget Autopia. And yes, going through the garage doors was the climax of the ride. I can still see my folks along the railing with Dad taking his 8mm movie camera shot of me. And I was certain I was driving that car. Funny how certain imagines can vividly come to mind. KS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa, I always liked those old MGs, I’d see them when I was a kid and instinctually loved the way they looked. I’ll bet you’re right about the buttons on Susie’s collar - functional, and they look good too. If there are lids on popcorn boxes, what are the ducks supposed to eat??

    Grant, did you paint your own cars? I know that people do that, some quite professionally. Ha, you should have put crash doors on your garage. I assume that there were backpacks in the 50s, but they probably weren’t as common for regular people as they are now.

    KS, hmmm, now that you mention it, I’m not sure why racing green was a thing, but I like it, and maybe red was overdone. Also, a Union Jack would show up nicely against that green. I’ve seen some old home movies of the Midget Autopia, usually the end part with the garage doors, and I can’t help wondering if the crash-door mechanism broke down a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a vague memory of the smallest size pickles being labeled "(rhymes-with-fidget) gherkins" when I was a kid, but a quick Internet search only turns up one brand - one I've never heard of - that calls them that now.

    My family used to take an old-fashioned mule-drawn canal boat cruise on the Erie Canal every summer. It was awesome! It would have been faster to get out and walk with the mules, but they probably couldn't have sold tickets for that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Major, "what are the ducks supposed to eat??"
    Don't be silly. AEDs don't eat popcorn! Occasionally, they'll stick their beaks/bills into a nearby electrical socket for a charge-up but... Oh wait... did you mean REAL ducks?... Do they still make those?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melissa, I have never seen m-word pickles, maybe that’s a regional thing. Wow, the Erie Canal boat cruise (pulled by your pal Sal!) sounds neat.

    JB, they stopped manufacturing ducks in the United States in the early 70s, but there is small companies now make them for enthusiasts. Sort of like vinyl records.

    ReplyDelete
  19. JG, those shoes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a great story to be sure…

      JG

      Delete
  20. Just back from a backpacking training hike and I can tell I’m tired. I just tried to look at tomorrow’s post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got curious and looked up the Wikipedia page on British racing green. It's pretty interesting! Americans probably liked it because it reminds us of money and John Deere tractors. And tiny pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lou and Sue9:57 PM

    Fun dress pattern….I see purses, hatboxes, and camera bags with side pockets for holding the film. At least that’s what it looks like from this distance.

    I love all the chatter about ducks and AEDs. There is so much ‘inside’ info on this blog, if you’re a new reader. My advice to new readers: Start from the beginning of this blog and read ALL the past comments. I did that back in 2019, when I first discovered this blog. Loved every minute of it…took me months and months. (I remember that JB commented he did it, too, but in less time. Maybe he’s an Evelyn Wood graduate.)

    Thanks, Major….fun pics!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sue, actually, I think it took me over a year to through all the GDB comments! Sort of the opposite of Evelyn Wood. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lou and Sue12:04 AM

    JB, that's good to hear. Now I don't feel so 'slow.'
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also read every post of GDB, once I discovered it. But it only took me a matter of days, because there were fewer posts to catch up on. I stumbled across GDB in July of 2008! It seems like only yesterday. How can it be 18 years now?

    As for the having popcorn containers with lids.....the first time I saw the buckets, was at Tokyo Disneyland. Before Disneyland in the U.S. was ever selling popcorn buckets, let alone the buckets in the shape of all sorts of characters, ride vehicles, etc., the Tokyo parks were selling plastic buckets with lids. And you could even buy a strap for the bucket, for wearing it over your shoulder or around your neck. They also sold the open cardboard boxes, but it seemed that the buckets were more popular. I also never saw any Japanese guests scarfing down popcorn like we do here in the U.S. I observed on many occasions (while waiting for a show or a parade) random Japanese guests opening the lid on their bucket, reaching in with their fingers and pulling out two or three pieces of popcorn, popping the pieces into their mouths, and then resealing the lid on their bucket. But here in America, we scarf! And speaking of the various shaped buckets they now sell here, why on earth hasn't there been one made in the shape of Lillian? Or at least her rock?

    ReplyDelete
  26. ^ "One in the shape of Lillian" - LOL
    How about Fudgie? or an AED? I would especially love one of Bu as a popcorn vendor!

    ReplyDelete
  27. " I stumbled across GDB in July of 2008!"

    TM, I wish I would've discovered GDB sooner. I missed out on so many fun years.

    ReplyDelete
  28. One more popcorn bucket suggestion:

    For Christmastime: A dancing Christmas tree bucket!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sue, how about a popcorn bucket in the shape of Bu, wearing his yellow "outdoor vending" costume, holding a gaggle of Mickey Mouse balloons, and each balloon opens to reveal just one single piece of popcorn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. "One more popcorn bucket suggestion: For Christmastime: A dancing Christmas tree bucket!"

    Sue, I like it! It could even be a series of three buckets. The second bucket could be the concrete ground with the Streetcar tracks, and the third one could be the Santa Claus float, coming to run over the poor little trapped Christmas Tree. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. ^ TM! I would assume that the Christmas tree bucket and Streetcar tracks bucket would hook together??

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sue, you are right! They could probably even be made as one single piece/bucket. But let's keep it a "series of three" for the buckets. The third one can be of Lillian, standing and pointing at the little helpless tree, and SCREAMING in horror! :-O

    ReplyDelete