Monday, August 24, 2026

Skyway Stuff, March 1961

I have a pair of Skyway-related pix for you today, beginning with this portrait of a little girl, up in the charming Fantasyland Chalet; the Teacups, Flying Elephants, and a few of the old dark rides can just be seen through the branches of the trees, it's a very pretty scene. Does the girl have suspenders??


Next is a view from a gondola, a pretty nice view too, never mind the safety bars partly blocking the scene. The red Mark I Monorail passes by almost silently - in just a few months, the Mark II trains would debut (in June), and guests could go all the way to the Hotel and back. The park looks pretty empty! We get some nice bobsled action, not surprising from here. Screechy2 is in the upper left, the Alice in Wonderland ride just sneaks into the lower right, and a prominent fire hydrant is right next to that Kodak Picture Spot sign.

17 comments:

  1. Major-
    "Does the girl have suspenders??"

    It would appear so, doesn't it-? "They" seem to match her collar. Additionally, her dress seems to have a belt - double protection. Hmmm. (Melissa, please-!)

    Love the image of the Monorail and Matterhorn 'area'. It captures a wonderful feeling of that tiny little part of Fantasyland.

    Thanks, Major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose those are suspenders. But they appear to be decorative only; part of her dress. I think we can see part of the Pirate Ship through he trees on the left... or is that just more of the Skyway? I'm wondering what made the girl pose in that awkward way? I suppose she's being artsy and chic.

    What a nice 'everything' picture! It has all the things you pointed out. Only, that isn't a fire hydrant. It's an alien (sort of a cross between "ET" and a gumball machine), and he/she/it is snapping an excellent photo from that Picture Spot location to show the folks back home in the Arcturus system.

    Nice "stuff" today, Major!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ JB-
    "I think we can see part of the Pirate Ship through the trees on the left..."

    Indeed. Good eye-!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou and Sue12:33 AM

    “Disneyland Bars”

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are better than any photos I ever took at Disneyland. I find it sad that the family let these get away.

    The bars add to the photo, I think, giving it depth and showing where you are, that you aren't a drone.

    Thanks, Major, for the Skyway ride.

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute picture of the little girl. I hope she enjoyed her day in the Park. Her outfit has an Alpine vibe to it. She needs a concertina and a cuckoo clock. The background is a fun puzzle of bits and pieces.

    Photo 2 is excellent, bars notwithstanding. Plenty of everything in this corner, including two trash cans, illustrating the “hot dog munch” spacing. If you can’t eat a hot dog that fast, you should order something else. And if one bobsled is good luck, how about FIVE?

    Thanks Major! Hope you had a good visit.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, what a cute kiddo! Yeah, those jumpers that were basically a skirt with suspenders were popular for decades; I have pictures of my mother and her sister in them. And they often came with a coordinating blouse like our little Swiss Miss has on here.

    Besides the Skyway, we seem to have a color theme today: pops of red against sky (and steel) blue and leafy green. It's not quite my home ec teacher Mrs. Mylar's "accented neutrals," but it's nice.

    I almost didn't notice the man-made leaves in the bottom right of the second picture (Alice?) as being different from the natural leaves in the rest of the background. I was paying more attention to all the crisscrossing layers of Vroom! from the Monorail, Bobsleds, and Autopia. Screechy the Eagle is waiting to swoop down on that nice older couple if they disturb the flowerbeds. Even zooming in on my big screen, I can't tell if the lady's dress has a middy collar, so I'll say, "Helloo, Sailor" just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Zach-
    "The bars add to the photo, I think, giving it depth and showing where you are, that you aren't a drone".

    You obviously haven't seen my drones... they even have seat belts-!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’M BACK!

    Nanook, I wear a belt, suspenders, and also use gorilla glue (naturally) to make sure my pants never come off by accident. IT WORKS.

    JB, Pirate Ship? There was no pirate ship at Disneyland! If there was, I’m sure I would have seen photos of it by now! You can’t fool me. As for the kid’s pose - kids are squirmy and weird, 4 out of 5 dentists agree. Your comment about the alien/fire hydrant reminds me of a cartoon (maybe from the New Yorker?) of aliens who look like fire hydrants, and they see a dog approaching them. Little do they know!

    Nanook, after six hours of Googling, I have found no mention of a Pirate Ship. Well, some of that time was spent looking at cute cat photos. There are so many!

    Lou and Sue, not THAT kind of bars.

    zach, I know what you mean, I don’t think of myself as a terrible photographer, but I never really take exceptionally nice photos at Disneyland either. Shameful. Maybe I am in a drone, you don’t know!!

    JG, we ALL need a concertina and a cuckoo clock. Just imagine how happy we would all be! There would be no wars. Disneyland should sell a shirt with something about “hot dog munch” spacing. Only the coolest and best people would get it. Five bobsleds, is there such a thing as too much good luck?

    Melissa, I guess those suspenders were one additional layer of assurance! To be honest, I wear two pairs of suspenders at once for the same reason. I’m not crazy! I’m happy to see a mention of Mrs. Mylar again. I’m imagining her boyfriend, Max Mylar, proposing to her. “Would you do me the honor of becoming MRS. Mylar??”. Actually, my brother liked a weird singer named Zoogz Rift, and he had a band member named Mark Mylar. COINCIDENCE? I guess I should know what a middy collar is, but I’m too busy watching Hawaii Five-O on MeTV.

    Nanook, they have seat belts, but they are made out of piano wire. My idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Major: I’m never home at 11am to watch METV HAWAII 5-0 … my cox cable “bundle” doesn’t let me record …. So I have them record at my moms. When I visit her there’s a batch of episodes to watch ! Original HAWAII-5-0 is AWESOME!!! Im addicted!! But if I watch it with my mom there she complains how violent it is … “mom; yeah criminals are violent… “ and she complains they drive too recklessly on the show … lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike Cozart, on the days that I go out to make sure my brother is OK (long story), he almost always has MeTV on for hours at a time. Hawaii Five-O is one that I remember fondly from when I was a kid (plus there's that cool theme song), but boy, other shows like "The Waltons" are really hard to watch (I never sit down to watch any of these, but they are on in the background).

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Submarine Voyage's waterfall is turned off! I wonder if the lagoon was drained for refurbishment? Those people on the Monorail know the answer.

    Welcome back home, Major!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome home, Maj! Yeah, I guess the Mylar family have their fingers in every pie. They're like the Illumylarminati! A middy collar is just the kind of collar they have on sailor suits (comes from "midshipman").

    "Those people on the Monorail know the answer."

    Well, them and The Shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, them and The Shadow.

    Melissa, yes.....The Shadow knows!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Major, my apologies. Obviously there is no pirate ship in this photo. I must've been thinking of the Japanese Village & Deer Park. (Welcome back!)
    Your description of that cartoon sounds familiar to me too. But I don't know where I would've seen it... Maybe a Far Side cartoon?

    ReplyDelete
  16. When we were little, whenever we'd ask Mom a question and she didn't know the answer or there was no good answer, she'd repeat it in a low, sepulchral voice, like, "Why do cats chase mice? Only The Shadow knows!" and then give a sinister laugh. I knew Santa wasn't a real thing before I knew The Shadow wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  17. TokyoMagic!, wow, good eye on the Submarine lagoon waterfall!

    Melissa, I know somebody who is part of the Illuminati, he said that it’s not that great, mostly he saves 10 percent at participating stores such as Pep Boys.

    TokyoMagic!, The Shadow is a creep!

    JB, I accept your apology! Yes, Japanese Deer Park had a Pirate Ship, right next to the 5/8 scale train. “Far Side” is a great guess!

    Melissa, your mom sounds like fun. Also, extra points for “sepulchral”.

    ReplyDelete