Sunday, August 30, 2026

OK-zles™

OK-zles™ are Snoozles™ - but they aren't as bad. But you figured that out already! Today's examples aren't too dark, or blurry, they're mostly just kind of boring.

See what I mean? The Submarine Lagoon should be exciting. "Liquid Space", they used to call it! But the lone sub is far away, and it's named after a roller-skate. (Yes, yes, I know). We see no cars on the Autopia freeway, no Monorail on the beam, and no Peoplemover on its track. I want my money back.


From the same batch comes this photo of the Mighty Matterhorn, but it looks so gray. Can a mountain be "brutalist"? It is disappointing that no Skyway gondolas can be seen (where the heck were all the vehicles that day?), but at least we can glimpse a single bobsled up to the left.


 

15 comments:

  1. Major-
    "We see no cars on the Autopia freeway, no Monorail on the beam, and no Peoplemover on its track. I want my money back".

    Would you settle for an all-day sucker or a box of [unbuttered] popcorn instead-?

    Thanks, Major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major, not only everything you mentioned, but the water is choppy, not glassy! Glassy water looks far more beautiful. Choppy water makes the Lagoon look cold, uninviting, and desolate. I had to wrap myself in a blanket just looking at it! Also, no deep blue, sunny sky. Looks like some Mermaids left their conch shells behind on the island. (I have no idea what the Mermaids used the shells for.) This pic would've been perfect if the Sub wasn't there to ruin the utter desolation.

    Better than the Bobsled, this is one of the best appearances of Fudgie the Whale in GDB history! Not THE best, bur close. (His tail could be a little more prominent.) Again, the picture makes everything look dismal and desolate. There was no joy in the Park that day. I bet the people in the Bobsled were hoping the ride would hurry up and end, so they could go home. Obviously, there were some Dementors hovering over the Park sucking joy out of everything! Someone needs to shout, "Expecto Patronum!"

    I had fun, having fun with these OK-zles! Thanks, Major.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you able to discern the bobsled’s marital status from this angle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We see no cars on the Autopia freeway, no Monorail on the beam, and no PeopleMover on its track."

    Major, and we can also add that there are no Motor Boats beyond the Sub lagoon!

    JB, yep....there's Fudgie. He's so dark here, it almost looks like he could be the opening to a cave.

    Thanks for the Sunday OK-zles, Major!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first saw the "OK-zles™" title, I thought they were going to be vacation pictures from Oklahoma. I like them! They're moody and melancholy and interesting. Until you blow zoom in and see the bobsled, you might think they were from an abandoned, post-apocalyptic Disneyland. No vroom-vroom. The dark lagoon water looks like something out of an Edgar Allan Poe poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...a bit visually melancholy, but they bring back lots of "aroma" and other sensorial memories of this part of the park. The Matterhorn waterfalls were PART OF THE FUN! Do I even see a waterfall anymore, I ask myself. Whizzing past a waterfall...with the spray, and the smell....and the concrete aroma exuding from the "Swiss Cheese" holes....and the big splash....honestly: the monster is OK....but I actually prefer a few waterfalls, and riding tandem racing when "side A" meets "side B"....and of course the view at the very top when you pass under the Skyway going toward the light....and get a great view of the "Backside of Admin Bldg." and "Parking Lot"....before you make a sharp turn and start the process of extracting all the matter in-between the bones of your spine....when I was a teenager: all good....and I WILL return to the Mighty Matterhorn again...with my nurse and osteopath. In any case: SUB LAGOON! How sad I will be when this vanishes, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime....that's a lot of real estate sitting there....and very co-incidentally: a Instapix video was thrust at me this morning, that I haven't seen....this isn't the "Love Bug" Osmonds....this is another Kurt Russel/Osmonds/Kids of the Kingdom musical montage: and the BEST part is: the Kids of the Kindgom STANDING on the TOP of the sub as it traverses this space in the photo....talk about OSHA!.....ah..."Show People"....we are a brave lot...Here's the link: it is totally masterful in location set ups....this small clip is a lot of editing: bravo to whoever did it. https://www.instagram.com/reel/DcMGyJnqsX0/ Also to note: I much prefer the seriousness of a 1959 Sub...understated, and not silly. This isn't a kiddie ride after all. Well: the mermaids and sea monster are slightly silly...but that's because you've been under water for so long! My dad liked the mermaids, and I shrieked and screamed like someone was disemboweling me when the face of the sea monster appeared. Then: the Carousel of Progress made it allllll better....which is probably why I have a very deep soft spot for it....never thought of that until now. Thanks Major!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No mermaids either, and it does look cold so I don’t blame them. This is really strange. Must be early morning. I think we be able to just see what will later be called “Three Fences”, but maybe then it was only one or two?

    The bobsled (or should I call it Robert Sled to avoid excessive familiarity?) saves photo 2. I do like the Matterhorn better after geologic and hydrologic processes and some Zolatone paint warmed up the stone to a richer brownish gray, but this initial look is suited to that cloudy sky.

    Thanks Major these are just fine today.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  8. *are not *be. Grr.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  9. No mermaids either, and it does look cold so I don’t blame them.

    It would be fun to have mermaids out there in hats and coats and mittens, drinking mugs of hot cocoa! "Br-r-r, hi kids!"

    I've been watching the 1978 version of Heidi made for German TV, and every once in a while I'll catch myself thinking, "Does that mountain looks really weird, or is it just my eyes?" And sometimes I wonder if my brain is expecting every mountain in the Alps to be full of holes and waterfalls and bobsleds shooting in and out, and trying to fill them in when they aren't there, the way it sometimes tries to fill in letters in the middle of words when my blind spots hit them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nanook, no, I need cold hard cash!

    JB, good point on the choppy lagoon water, it must have been pretty blustery. I’m not sure if that means that it was autumn, but that gray sky isn’t helping either. It’s so hot in SoCal right now, the idea of wrapping up in a blanket seems insane. Conch shells are used for conking each other on the head. Ha, good point about Fudgie the whale, I didn’t even notice. And I think I have another photo coming up (no idea when) where I pointed out Fudgie, but it’s not as good as this one. It’s prettier, but father away. Oh, Harry Potter, I enjoyed your stories until your author lost her damn mind.

    Chuck, I look for a ring, of course.

    TokyoMagic!, yeah, are all those Tomorrowland attractions down? What a disappointment for guests. I know I would have been very upset, and probably would have thrown a tantrum.

    Melissa, I’ve never been to Oklahoma, but my understanding is that it’s flat. REALLY flat. I know that as a kid I had a fantasy about wandering through an empty Disneyland, no rides operating, no people. I could go into any attraction and see how it looked! I’d still like to do that.

    Bu, I think the Matterhorn waterfalls of today are pretty anemic, and I’m not really sure why. Are those pumps expensive to operate? Does it have something to do with droughts and water usage? As I (and others) have said before, water features are so nice, be they small cascades, large lagoons, fountains, or big rivers. The more the better. I guess I have not been on the Matterhorn enough to have a preference for Side A or Side B, I couldn’t tell you which is which or which is better. I will definitely be sad when (not if) the Sub Lagoon is gone, I really do love it, even when I don’t go on the Nemo Subs. I wonder how much hotter Tomorrowland will be once that body of water is gone? I saw a YouTube thumbnail today that basically said that the Peoplemover is definitely coming back, but I don’t trust the YouTuber, so I have not watched the video. I hate it when they try to fool you just for the clicks. And this guy has fooled me before. I agree, I liked the OG subs better. I do not hate the Nemo Subs, but am not crazy about those projection effects. Somehow I’d prefer something less technological but more practical.

    JG, yeah, no mermaids, though they were only there for two short periods. My brother claims that he remembers them, and says that one waved at him. I don’t remember seeing them at all, and I feel like that’s something that would have made an impression! Don’t you love seeing Fudgie in that second photo?? It really is a good picture of him.

    JG, no worries, I blame your keyboard!

    Melissa, hats and coats and mittens in the ocean. Hmmmm! Hot cocoa full of salt water. Delicious! I had no idea there was a TV version of “Heidi”, and admit that I have never seen ANY film version of that story. I don’t get out much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Major, there was also a 1968 American TV version of Heidi that caused quite a stir on it’s original broadcast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Autocorrect got me again. *its*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Major, "Oh, Harry Potter, I enjoyed your stories until your author lost her damn mind." Agreed! (She always was kinda weird, IMO.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chuck, that "Heidi Game" story is wild! So many factors combining in a perfect media storm!

    I found the movie itself on YouTube and watched it; it's nice but kind of weird. They made all the antagonists nice and filed all the conflicts down into minor misunderstandings. It explained a lot when I saw that the screenplay was written by the creator of The Waltons.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shoot. I promised just the other day I wasn't going to turn into an endless parade of children's books, and now I'm all Heidi this and Heidi that.

    ReplyDelete