A Pair From May, 1960
You never know when June Gloom will hit - it might even happen in May! It's like when Friday the 13th falls on a Wednesday. Judging from the number of guests, this was a fine time to visit the park - perhaps it was Mother's Day. Or Memorial Day! The diffused light makes it impossible to guess what time of day this was, but people are already resting on benches, so I'd guess "what is 'early afternoon', Alex". It's nice to see a Surrey to the left.



12 comments:
Major-
The SBC image is still a bit over five years away from the Tencennial with the addition of both the Compass Points and the Disney Crest above the entrance thru the castle.
Are those 'salmon-colored' molded chairs with black table tops-? How very mid-century. (I wonder if the Yacht Bar was one of the eateries at the Park featuring both Coke and Pepsi-?) I do believe it was, as the Space Bar definitely served both...
Thanks, Major.
"It's like when Friday the 13th falls on a Wednesday". Haha. I hate when it does that!
As you noted, with the diffuse lighting the scene actually looks strange, because of the lack of shadows. Kinda eerie even... I'm ascared! It's a nice, clear picture of the Castle, with all its details on display (I know, family blog). I see that Satan has placed a tree branch exactly where The Dent should be. Probably couldn't see it in this light anyway; tough luck, Satan! The little cowpoke, front and center, catches my eye. At least, I think that's a western-style shirt he's wearing. Maybe he's wearing western-style pants and boots too? Hard to tell. I also like the lady with the coral-colored gossamer scarf holding her wide-brimmed hat on her head. Not at all sure what the kid to the right of the Surrey is up to. I will not speak of it again.
I think that's the "thimble" of the Thimble Drome Flight Circle next to the Moonliner. The photographer is leaving it up to us to decide if this is a photo of a herd of orange chairs, or a photo of the Moonliner. It's two! Two! Two pics in one!
Even with the Gloom, these are nice photos! Thanks, Major.
That li'l cowpoke crossin' aforebehind the surrey looks like an extry from Oklahoma! Oklahoma, where the wavin' corn can smell forlorn, when the gloom come whistlin' down in June!
Oh, pigs and dogs and sheep better scurry
When I take you out in my surrey,
When I take you out in my surrey past the umbrellas with the fringe on top.
Watch them flags on my castle a-flutter
When I drive them high-steppin’ strutters—
Though the clouds are as thick as the Skippy peanut butter on my mouth's rooftop!
The wheels are yeller, the upholstery’s brown,
The seats are comfy and roomy,
With isinglass curtains you can roll right down
'Cause whatever month it is, it shore is gloomy.
"I'm already worrying about my Scan-tron test!"
I always bring two sharpened number two pencils with me to Tomorrowland.
Those two nice old ladies on the left look like they're trying to give a jar of the Recipe to the gentleman in the tan suit.
I love photo 1, gloom or no gloom. We have the castle, trash cans, mushroom lights, petunias, and a little guy about my age in his cowboy outfit, with mom carrying his hat because he keeps dropping it. And the photographer didn’t have to wait in a queue to get the shot.
Photo 2 is almost a Historical Document, what with the period colors, shapes, and styles. I’m noticing the age of the crowd and their style of dress, looking very old-fashioned in the World of 1986.
Major, imagine being left handed and taking a test in one of those seats. I could manage a hamburger and a cup of Coke, and another of Pepsi even, but writing would be right out. Good thing I’m not left handed. My Dad was, and had to work around stuff like that all the time.
JG
Nanook, it was also 15 years before they added the Evel Knievel crest to the castle. Something I look for every time I go to the park! Those Yacht Bar seats really do bring back school days. I wonder how it worked out that ANY restaurant could serve both Coke and Pepsi?
JB, Don’t be ascared! It’s just a little haze, some low clouds, some radioactive mist. I’m glad to see that somebody else noticed Satan’s influence on that first picture, he’s always up to some mischief! I’m currently listening to my Taylor Swift records backwards to see if there’s any bad messages. Luckily I still have a turntable that I can run in reverse. And vinyl records. The kid with the western outfit (hat held by his mom) is pretty sharp. I’m wearing a gossamer scarf on my head too, I was in a certain mood. Yes, there’s the golden thimble of the Thimble Drome. Mad Max was not afraid to go to the Thimble Drome, in fact he had a good time.
Melissa, ah, it’s like old times, with another Melissa song. To the tune of “Surrey With The Fringe on Top”, also classic. Extra points for working in Skippy peanut butter, my favorite! Not that chunky stuff either, it’s smooth and creamy for me. It’s good that you bring two pencils with you, there’s always at least one kid who forgets to bring his own. A jar of The Recipe?? You mean moonshine??
JG, I don’t know why those mushroom lights are no longer popular, they would sure look good in any garden at night. I particularly loved the examples that were at miniature golf courses, with translucent shades of different colors. Maybe that kid kept dropping his hat, or if there was even a slight breeze, it might have kept blowing off. There’s something so silly about those Yacht Bar seats, there must have been a better solution. How about tables (with umbrellas for shade) and chairs like in the rest of the park? I remember in grade school, there were lefties who complained about scissors and such. Maybe they should just be normal! (Joking of course).
JG and Maj, I've always been extremely right-handed, but the one thing I was able to teach myself to do left-handed is cut with lefty scissors, and it's all because of shoddy classroom supplies.
All the elementary schools I went to had sets of classroom scissors that looked like they came over on the Ark, and this was before the days of kids bringing in their own scissors. (Our parents wouldn't have bought them, and the other kids would have teased us mercilessly if they had.) All the right-handed scissors were shot to heck from wear and tear, but the two or three left-handed pairs in each set were still in good condition because so few left-handed kids had come through the system (and half the ones who did had been forcibly "retrained" as righties, like my cousin).
So I figured my cutting would look equally bad if I cut right-handed using beat-up scissors or left-handed using good ones, and eventually I got used to them. I guess I could have just tried to get more aggressive and fight my way to the front of the pack for the few good right-handed scissors, but some transformations are easier than others.
Looking at vintage restaurant sign documentation many Disneyland food service locations did offer BOTH Coke OR Pepsi!! ( until 1981 when Coke stomped its feet!) there are exceptions : if the location was sponsored by Coca Cola like Tomorrowland Terrace ..Coke Corner etc … then it’s exclusively Coke. Or say Mile Long Bar, Golden Horseshoe , SPACE PLACE … it’s exclusively Pepsi . Etc. ( technically SPACE PLACE was “mountain. Dew “ “MOUNTAIN DEW: FIRST ON SPACE MOUNTAIN!!!” But officially Pepsi . Even the SPACE PLACE costumes were Pepsi red and blue !
The colors of the original STAGEDOOR CAFE was another exclusive Pepsi location … you can still see the blue & red in the signage . Other exceptions also included in the location was small then it might only offer either Coke of Pepsi.
Today Coke is the only official soda EXCEPT at Shanghai Disneyland it’s PEPSI!
Melissa, wow, I feel like I could never do anything worth a darn if I had to use my left hand! In one of my art classes we had to try to draw with our non-dominant hand, and it was awful. My memories of school scissors is that they were dull and “safe” even in the best of times. Kudos to you for managing to use the lefties!
Mike Cozart, somewhere I have photos of the Space Bar in which you can clearly read the menu boards, and I do recall that both Coke and Pepsi were offered there. Mountain Dew, I am kind of amazed that this soda survived all these years. I feel like it tasted different when I was a kid, but maybe my taste buds were just more sensitive. It feels like I have antifreeze on ice when I drink it (which is seldom). I wish Disneyland exclusively sold MOXIE, which I was told (by an old timer) that it tasted “like old socks”!!
Ha! Yesterday we had a plecostomus stuck to the roof of our mouth (thanks to Nanook), and today -- Skippy [creamy] peanut butter. Just wash it down with Coke or Pepsi (I prefer Pepsi...or Coke with chocolate syrup added). Mountain Dew was my favorite, years ago, but they did change the recipe multiple times over the years (Major, your taste buds were right!).
That 2nd pic is unique, I like it!
Thanks, Major.
Check out that woman in the red coat. Where does she think she is - 1957?
I remember my preschool had both left-handed and right-handed scissors. The right-handed ones had green rubber handles and the left-handed ones had red ones. They were also helpfully labeled “RIGHT” and “WRONG.” I mean “LEFT.”
At least your schools had desks. I completed most of second grade in a school without them. We sat on the carpeted floor and dragged durable, tan-colored totes with sliding lids around with us from class to class. There weren’t any classrooms, either - just big, open spaces that teachers tried to break up with bookshelves and rolling chalkboards. That school district had three elementary schools and two were of the “open school” design. The other open school even had built-in conversation pits. I didn’t realize how weird it was until years later. I’m sure it drove the teachers nuts.
^ Weird. I wonder what the rationale was behind that? Saving on building costs? NO DESKS!! Where are you supposed to stick your wads of ABC (Already Been Chewed) gum? How are you gonna carve your initials with no desktops to deface?
Chuck, at one of the elementary schools I attended, the primary-level classrooms had originally been built on that hippie, open-plan concept. Apparently it had lasted about two or three years before they hastily divided the space up into smaller rooms. I rarely had to go to that part of the building, but I remember the walls did seem to be pretty thin.
Post a Comment