Vintage People
Sometimes it's just fun to look at Vintage People. You get a sense of what life was like 50 or 60 years ago.
We'll start with this photo (dated June 1966) of some family members posing in front of their post-War home. The dog must be snoozing in the backyard! Mom leans on her son for an amusing tableau, while sis looks cool on her motorcycle. Right after this photo was taken, she drove downtown for a rumble!
Next, from August 1968 comes this portrait of a pretty woman enjoying some time at the shore. The sand! The sound of the waves! Seagulls! Colorful umbrellas! Hopefully there was a snack shack nearby where she could go to get a hotdog and Coke, the perfect thing for a day at the beach.



22 comments:
Major-
That 1st image looks painfully familiar from so many from the mid-1960's. Junior is now taller than his mom. Good thing. The two-tone beauty is a 1953 Mercury [probably] in Banff Blue on the body and Superior Blue on the roof. The newer vehicle is a 1964 Ford [probably] in Phoenician Yellow.
The beach bunny looks as if she stepped out of the 1950's, but who knows.
Thanks, Major. Now, go have a Coke and a hot dog.
Hot dog and Coke. And later a frozen Milky Way bar from the fridge. Those were the snack shack specialties at the San Jose Country Club, next to the pool surrounded by grass and a hedge to block most of the golf balls.
Mom looks like right-wing activist Phyllis Schlafly (with apologies to the mom in this picture). The son looks like actor Cary Elwes at a young age. And the daughter reminds me of an actress whose name I can't recall. :-\
The living room windows are kind of odd. Two of the panes are open at the top. Maybe all the panes could open? I like the window box filled with flowers. I wonder if the flowers were real or plastic?
If the beach beauty were (was?) wearing her sunglasses, and displaying a sophisticated pose, and wore her hair in an updo, she would look a lot like the original Barbie who wore a similar bathing suit. She looks more like a 1958 gal than a 1968 one.
I see Nanook agrees about the '50s looking gal.
People pics are fun! Thanks, Major.
On a side note: I wonder if our friend KC is doing OK. I've been following our local news reports for the past week, and there is a large wildfire burning in his neck of the woods. In Sisters, Oregon, which is on the other side of the Cascade Mountains from where I am (in Eugene; about 100 miles away). They have issued a "be ready to evacuate" warning.
That family will be cursing whoever planted that spruce tree so close to the driveway, in a few years.
JB, I think you’re referring to our KS. If he doesn’t respond, I’ll send him a text. I sure hope he’s safe…he and his wife have horses, too, so I hope they aren’t in harm’s way.
”… and a hedge to block most of the golf balls.”
JBenson, ha! The key word is “most.” I can’t imagine having to worry about stray golf balls. I do know someone who got hit in the head by one. He’s ok, thankfully.
That beach Barbie is going to have a very uneven tan.
Thanks, Major. Vintage people pics are fun.
^ I meant “DBenson.”
JB and I are both really doing good today with names. :o)
Is "mom" wearing a brooch, or is that a button with something groovy written on it like, "Far Out!," "Outta Sight!," or "Flower Power!"?
The sand! The sound of the waves! Seagulls! Colorful umbrellas!
And hopefully no tropical sand fleas!
JB, I was going to ask who KC is, but I see Sue probably clarified/corrected that. I hope KS, his family, and his animals, are all okay! I have four cousins who used to live in Paradise, CA. They all lost their homes (and sadly, their pets and their horses) during the 2018 Paradise fires.. I'm keeping good thoughts about KS!
Sue and Tokyo!, YES. KS (geez) It's late! I must've been thinking of KC and the Sunshine Band. ;-)
Sue and Tokyo!, YES. KS (geez) It's late! I must've been thinking of KC and the Sunshine Band. ;-)
JB......get down, tonight!
Nice family pics. A Ford family, I see. I remember how folks would have favorite car makers and buy the same make over and over. Dad drove Fords exclusively for over 20 years then suddenly switched to Oldsmobile for what turned out to be his last car.
I think those house windows are the only ones that open like that. Big windows like that often only had a couple of venters.
I hope that lady had a nice beach day. My idea of a beach day is looking at the surf from inside the hotel.
Oh I hope KS and his animals stay safe. I can’t imagine evacuation with horses. Tokyo, what a shame that your family was in that fire. We have had lots of fires here, but only one evacuation. Everyone knows someone who has lost a house.
Thanks Major!
JG
Nanook, I guess that first picture looks very 1960s, but I never knew a girl who rode a motorcycle! At least when I was a kid. That 1963 Mercury is pretty cute, I wonder if that was “mom’s car”?
DBenson, ha, you can’t go wrong with any of those snacks! Not sure I’ve ever had a frozen Milky Way bar, but it sure sounds good. Assuming that your teeth wouldn’t break.
JB, I didn’t want to say anything, but that actually is a young Cary Elwes and his mother Phylis Schlafly. You got it! The daughter is cute but I can’t think of an actress that she resembles. I wish we could see which State this was in, it looks like the midwest to me, but of course could be anywhere. I’m guessing that only those two panes opened on the windows! I suppose our bathing beauty has a sort of classic look that would work in any year. Do you mean KS? I hadn’t heard about fires. I did see a post from him on Facebook last night about one of his horses, no mention of fires, so presumably he’s OK for now.
Lou and Sue, it’s true, my mom always planted trees either too close to the house or too close to the driveway, never thinking that they would soon be a problem. And then we’d have to cut them down, sadly. Maybe KS will check in!
Lou and Sue, you are so right, I used to ride my bike near a country club, and every once in a while a golf ball would just miss me. Luckily I never got struck directly!
Lou and Sue, ha ha.
TokyoMagic!, tropical sand fleas?? Is that a thing? JB loves KC and the Sunshine Band so much that he made a natural mistake, but it is understandable.
JB, HA, I swear I didn’t read ahead!
TokyoMagic!, you know what? I WILL get down tonight!
JB, yes, for a while we were a Buick family, my grandparents and parents only bought Buick’s for many years. And they were nice cars, so no complaints. Now that I generally try to avoid being in the sun for hours, my beach days are over, unless I go for a walk, and even then I try to cover up as much as possible. Gosh I’ll have to look on Watch Duty and see about the fires up in KS’s area.
I just received a text from KS and he said to let you know he and his wife and horses have evacuated. Per KS, “Wind has begun to push fire away from town. Fingers crossed. Lots of upheaval, but neighbors helping each other..”
@ Lou and Sue-
Thanks for checking on KS. I've visited Sisters many times and the thought of wildfires in that area is both devastating and frightening - and this would be far from the first time that major fires have come thru that area. Fingers crossed, indeed-!
@ JG-
"I think those house windows are the only ones that open like that. Big windows like that often only had a couple of venters".
Based on the resolution of the image, it does appear the thickness of the window frames surrounding all four corner windows, those windows are openable. I agree with your assessment - as if mimicking 'transom windows' seen in older commercial buildings. Maybe the developer used this as a 'sales gimmick'.
The first images appears to be a publicity shot from the 1968 film WITH SIX YOU GET EGGROLL staring Doris Day and Brian Kieth - looks like the stand-ins are joking around …..
Incidentally WITH SIX YOU GET EGGROLL - one of several late 60’s movie comedies about widowed / divorced couples getting married and combining families, was the key inspiration for the tv show THE BRADY BUNCH .
..Debbie Reynolds grew up in Burbank:https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/debbie-reynolds-childhood-home Such a sweet house...and very much like the house depicted here. Bachorlette #2 does give off some hard core Barbie Vibes...I would dig my feet into the sand like her...for some odd reason I don't like people looking at my feet...since I was a kid....I must look that up...must be a thing... I love that beach bag...those are some "That Girl" vibes...Marlo Thomas had an amazing wardrobe on that show...https://mrscouture.com/blogs/press/marilyn-lewis-made-that-girl-costumes-and-it-girl-70s-style?srsltid=AfmBOooAQ5QWHjLTEeFzkXnmgwdj3ArNRqC-KEdBs5rPbkLDijr5urr0 After going down that rabbit hole, I found out that the designer was the owner of Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset, where I would frequently visit, and later (after making millions from selling the company): Kate Mantilini another Hollywood hang out. That was a very interesting rabbit hole to go down...thanks Major! PS: PSA: for some odd reason, I can longer post when I am on Apple Based "Safari"....I can only post on Google Chrome...where I'm sure they are taking pieces of my soul...the little that I have left...not sure if others are having this issue....
OMG, that's a Yamaha YDS3 ! I had one in 1967 into the 80s. Red also. I never looked that good on it though.
Thanks Major!
Zach
Sue, thanks for passing along that info about KS (not KC) and his family and animals. From the maps I've seen on the news, the fire is to the north of the town of Sisters. No idea where, in/around Sisters, KS lives though. Sounds like they are safe, but their home could still be in jeopardy.
I see that Major is also "really doing good today with names", (JB instead of JG). But I must be mistaken because we all know that Major doesn't make mistakes!
Oh good news about KS, hopefully evacuation is as bad as it gets. Thanks Sue!
Bu, my typical AM posts are using Safari on an iPad, i rarely have a problem, when I do, it's mostly just "failed to post" and pressing PUBLISH again fixes it. The iPad browser keeps me signed into Blogger for literally years at a time. That's a strange problem you are having.
My PM posts are using Firefox and I would have to sign in each time to post on my profile, so I am usually Anon in the PM, but I try to sign the posts so you know its me.
I agree, Google Chrome will steal your soul and I only use it because some airlines and hotel sites don't work well on Firefox.
I use Brave for Facebook and only Facebook since using Chrome for Facebook is like begging for spyware. Brave can be locked down tight enough to make me comfortable.
JG
Lou and Sue, thank you for checking in with KS!
Nanook, controversial take: wildfires suck.
Nanook, science has proven that corner windows cool your home 27% faster than ordinary windows!
Mike Cozart, now I want egg rolls.
Mike Cozart, I guess that trend really speaks to the postwar divorce rate.
Bu, I didn’t know that Debbie Reynolds grew up in Burbank. She hides her accent very well! ;-) She doesn’t sound the least bit Burbankian. I don’t know if I am that ashamed of my feet, but it feels good to dig the toes into the sand (if it’s not too hot). Marlo Thomas was so cute in “That Girl”, I don’t know, did she do a lot of other stuff after that? With Danny Thomas as her dad, she presumably didn’t need to work a day in her life if she didn’t want to. I loved Hamburger Hamlet, and miss that restaurant, there was one not too far from me. Their pecan pie was the best. Kate Mantilini’s, I only went there once but it was good. Got the white chili. Wow, I post on Safari all the time, I wonder what is going on for you?
zach, nice, we have car guys, but you are our motorcycle guy!
JB, if you and JG would kindly change your names to Lothar and Bluto that would be very helpful. My fingers type the wrong names, so I blame them. My own track record is spotless.
JG, I’ve never even heard of Brave, I guess I need to check it out. Unless it is a PC-only app? I use Chrome for certain things, I didn’t know that it was so bad, as far as privacy goes.
......tropical sand fleas?? Is that a thing?
Major, yes. The contestants had to deal with them on the first season (and maybe other seasons?) of Survivor. The fleas burrow into your skin and live there! I think they leave scars, too. So pleasant!
Post a Comment